Long time V5 owner, new forum member

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by katorcrog, Oct 21, 2020.

1. katorcrog New Member

Hey, I'm Katy, I'm from Scotland and I drive a rusty as hell but very precious to me mk4 V5. My mechanic calls it the scrapper because no one understands why I keep it on the road when it's just a mess. But I am a 'buy it for life' kind of girl, and keeping this car on the road is one of the only things that make me proud.
    I'm going to browse around the forum for things people do when they buy one of these as a project to bring it back to it's original glory, although not necessarily make it like stock or anything. If anyone has any good pointers for me, please let me know! I am learning car terms as I go here, forgive me for sounding like an idiot.
    My checklist so far is -
    Replace panels. Almost all of them.
    My mudflaps don't match (so weird) so finding matching ones.
    It's only got two vw centre caps on the wheels, so find some of those.
    New license plates, but I'm unsure of what styles would be nice.
    Only one of the cables for my parcel shelf connects properly, so that needs repaired.
    My steering wheel is wearing away (if I have wet hands my hands get black sticky stuff on them) but I have no idea what can be done about that.
    The rear windscreen washer doesn't work at all and it's just stuck half way.
    The handle to open the boot is barely hanging on.
    ... that's it so far.
    Please let me know if you have any input!

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Hello and welcome Katy.

Surely you'd get a good s/h steering wheel easy enough?
    Same for the other dodgy bits?

3. katorcrog New Member

Hey Tristan! Yes I'm looking around for all my bits second hand one by one, but it's very hard to tell if I'm going to get ripped off. Part of me wants to just buy another one for spares and repairs because it seems like I can get a whole car for the same price as just one part.

4. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Hello & Welcome

5. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Hello,

Why is it precious, have you had it a long time?

6. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

I've got a Silver 3 door MK4 V5 (keep meaning to do a thread on it). A friend actually bought a crash damaged mk4 for a engine swap and I had most of the interior out of it as it was in very good condition. If you've got the time and somewhere to store then getting a full spares car is the way to go, even if its just for the convenience of having all the little parts that cost a fortune from VW.

I guess yours has a leather wheel?

7. katorcrog New Member

Hey! I guess it's only precious because it's my most important possession. Yes a car is just a car and can be swapped out but I've driven plenty others while I've owned it (even a much newer golf) and still feel that this is the best one for me.

8. katorcrog New Member

I'm moving in to a house with a garage next month and have started to keep my eye out for one to pop in there to raid for parts. And I honestly can't tell if the wheel is leather, it might have been at some point but it's degraded to something else entirely haha