Mk3.5 key error

Discussion in 'Security' started by Mjpuds, Dec 6, 2020.

1. Mjpuds New Member

Any one any ideas of if there is a work around to getting a new key programmed to work again. Mk 3.5 cab .. I had a new key made due to losing main key. Sadly I wasn't with the car yesterday while key was made... and on return the car won't go beyond the first puff of revs.. I had the AA out last night in the cold and after 2 hours of us problem solving. His vag.com came up with ecu off.. and key sensor error.. odd because the key is is just a key no buttons..oddly I have found the original key and still same fault.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you have the original key now you should be sorted, might be worth having codes cleared on ecu and immobiliser then try again.

if your immo box has lost its coding then you'll have to take it to the dealer most likely, as its a 3.5 the immo box cannot easily be recoded as you need the SKC code. One option is remove the immo box and send it off to Chris Bellman, he can then pull the SKC code out of it. then you need a registered copy of vagcom to code new chips to the immo box and possibly also need to code box to ecu

3. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Hello,

A weak link in the system is the 'reader spool' clipped onto the steering lock, around the key cylinder. My '95 mk3 estate occasionally shows this problem*, but since I keep a screwdriver handy to remove the plastic cowling and push/pull on the cable I haven't yet had to extract and replace the whole thing. It isn't a coded component itself, it simply reads the chip in the key on behalf of the immobiliser box, which then approves the key (or not) to the engine ecu. The box is fitted onto a bracket between the bulkhead and the 'knee bar' behind the dash.

I suppose that as jonny mentions your car has the later type, though, with a slightly different reader. Apart from the spool housing being different, the immobiliser box (and thus the connector at the far end) would be different too. So you'd need to take care obtaining another spool and cable; there was a crossover period where the 'new' spool head was used with the 'old' box.

* luckily it hasn't done so yet at an awkward moment, such as after filling up on a busy forecourt.

4. rubjonny

this is a very good point ^^

The next step is clear codes from both ecu and immo box, then attempt to start. if it cuts read ecu to check if its immo, then scan immo to see why :)

when you scan the immo box you can check the part number, this will tell you what key reader you need. there are 2 versions which look the same, but they arent the same part number and AFAIK not compatible either way

5. Mjpuds New Member

It very odd the original key also has stopped working, is this because when trying to set key up the chap wiped the ecu codes clear..

6. Mjpuds New Member

ok i have purchased a copy of vag com..

to use on my 3 cars..so where do i go from here .. i have both keys ..new new ..and the old one.. should i send ecu off to Chris Bellman as mentioned above .

7. Mjpuds New Member

ok i have purchased a copy of vag com..

to use on my 3 cars..so where do i go from here .. i have both keys ..new new ..and the old one.. should i send ecu off to Chris Bellman as mentioned above .

8. rubjonny

next step scan ecu, note codes and clear them, then do the same for immobiliser. try to start car, scan ecu and immobiliser box again and see what codes have come back

to check/clear codes click the top left button in vcds-lite, then click 01-engine, then fault codes. repeat this for 25-immobiliser :)

9. Mjpuds New Member

All sorted vag.com to the rescue.

10. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

slightly OT - but for 'the greater good!'----
    I'm having issues again with mk3.5 cabby.
    crank sensor swapped in.
    started ok 5 times, then cranking but no fire- turns out when I put key in/ turn very gently- it starts.
    So i highly suspect its ignition switch/area related.