Poor running mk4 1.8T - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Signal too High

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by jamiehol, Jan 17, 2010.

1. jamiehol Forum Member

Trying to help a mate sort out the poor running of his 1.8T AUM MK4.

It feels very flat to drive and has hardly any power, a quick VAG COM scan has shown to error codes:

Control Module Part Number: 06A 906 032 DR
    Component and/or Version: 1.8L R4/5VT G 0002
    Software Coding: 11500
    Work Shop Code: WSC 00153
    2 Faults Found:
    16487 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Signal too High
    P0103 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
    17705 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
    P1297 - 35-00 - Please Register/Activate

Car is running a Forge DV already and i have checked all hoses and they seem ok.

I have also done some logs in VAG COM and at 6K revs and 35.3% of throttle the MAF is showing 60.03g/s.

In the past the wiring to the MAF has been repplaced as well as a exchange MAF from the dealers.

After a quick poke at the MAF the air flow figures at idle are down at 22.6g/s but it is still throwing a 16487 code all the time.

I am going to run a throttle body alignment, anyone get any other suggestions ?

Cheers,
    Jamie.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  2. Collie Forum Junkie

17705 is to do with the n75 vale. check the hoses are not leaking any where. And there is a test you can do on its electrical side.

the n75 unplugged should be about 25-35 ohms across the n75 connections,

and the plug disconected it should see about 11-14volts on the plug at idle.

if the n75 is not working properly it will be flat as described.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  3. jamiehol Forum Member

Thanks for the reply. Will check the n75 valve when i see the car next weekend, ordered an replacment MAF for it being as the air flow at idle being recorded is way too high.

Did make a bit more progress last sunday, managed to get hold of a registered copy of VAG COM and after running a throttle body adaption it has a bit more power and isn't completly flat

4. jamiehol Forum Member

Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Signal too High

Right had a look at this at car again this weekend. Checked the resistence of the N75 vale and it was around 28.3 Ohms on my multi meter.

Fitted a new exchange MAF and reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery, and the car ran great had a read of 2.5-3 g/s in VAG COM whilst logging the MAF at Idle.

After a run we left the car to cool and went back out to it with the engine cold, and it will start and idel for a while and then revs will drop and it will either catch itself or cut out full stop.

If it caths itself it then throws Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Signal too High error code, and if you look in VAG COM the air flow recorded at idel is now at 17 g/s.

How come all of a sudden the MAF is recording more air flow, if you disconnet the battery for 5 minutes the air flow readings return to normal.

Anyone got any ideas

5. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

did you get to the bpttom of this?