No dipped beam.

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by DannyDS, Jan 16, 2021.

1. DannyDS New Member

Hi, I've recently picked up a 91 golf where the electrics leave a lot to be desired.

I have been going over everything to make sure all is right and tried the fog lights and the relay started clicking. Checked it out and it had the horn relay (72) and the fog light relay (53) the wrong way around.

The dipped beams were working correctly before. The side lights and full beam are still working correctly.

I have switched the relays around and and now the fogs are working as they should.

Had the multimeter on it and there's no voltage on the dipped. I've got a spare headlight switch too and still the same issue.

Is there anywhere I should check first before I start digging into the loom too see where it's all connected.

Thanks for any guidance .

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

What's different now, that they're not working, from when they were? Corrosion/damp/bad connections in the fuse box wouldn't be unheard of.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sicne main beam works your headlight switch is fine. so its either an issue with the flasher switch, wiring fault somewhere between stalk and fusebox, or your dipped beam fuses have both blown

4. DannyDS New Member

Ive tested 12v on the fusebox when the headlight switch is turned on, does the flasher switch cut power before or after the fusebox?

Is there a way I can test the flasher switch or bypass it? I took the stalk of yesterday but struggling to find a pinout of the connector.

Thanks.

5. rubjonny

so the headlight switch powers the flasher switch, then the flasher switch switches between dip and main beam.

if you hold the stalk back, both dip and main beam will come on together and this is powered from a permanent live feed to the stalk rather than headlight switch power so this works ignition on or off.

first step have a look at wiring from stalks to fusebox for any bodgery. if it looks good you can unplug the flasher switch plug, then loop a wire between the red/yellow wire and the yellow wires this should put the dipped beam on

6. DannyDS New Member

Thanks for the quick reply, ive just been out too it and tested the flasher, seems to be working fine.

pulling the stalk back doesnt seem to turn on both dip and main like you said unfortunately, so i guess my issue is elsewhere.

Ive started to pull the loom out as I couldnt get contiunity from the rear of the fuse box to the circle plug on the loom.

Is the circle plug from a mk3? as searching online it doesnt look likes its of a MK2.

7. rubjonny

circle plug?

8. DannyDS New Member

[​IMG]

looks like my existing loom has been hacked to have this attached too it

9. rubjonny

ah, thats a mk3 golf plug yep. if its been done properly theres no problem using the mk3 headlight loom, I'm using one on mine.

if you have no continuity from fusebox to that plug though there must be a break somewhere as you suspect

10. DannyDS New Member

So this ended up being a massive job turned into me pulling the dash out and redoing half the wiring. Suprised the car hadn't burnt to a crisp before I picked it up.

I'm just finishing of the headlight loom and I've got two wires left. Black/yellow and brown/black, I Belive one is for the horn and the other maybe for a fog light? I can't figure out from the fusebox diagrams.

The horn is currently ran directly of the battery to a button on the dash so would be nice to sort that out at the same time too.

Thanks

11. rubjonny

both of those are for the horn, black/yellow the switched live and brown/black switched earth

12. DannyDS New Member

Ahh right okay, why would it not be constantly grounded?

13. rubjonny

the earth is switched by the horn button & relay :)