Mk2 master cylinder upgrade from G60

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Neil_Ireland, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Neil_Ireland Forum Member

Hi all,

I’ve never been happy with the pedal feel and more so the travel, the brakes don’t inspire confidence due to excessive pedal travel.

The car has 280’s up front, mk4 rear callipers, G60 master cylinder and braided hoses front and rear.
    By right it should feel good in my opinion.

Is there a master cylinder upgrade available that has the same brake pipe routing and uses the same size unions as a G60? I don’t want to have to get new lines made up.

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

What's G60 Neilo, 22.2mm? Same as 16v?

I've that exact setup on my gti and I find it very good tbh.

Any chance you'd have a touch of air in the rear calipers? They can be a b1tch to bleed.
    Also pad compound, I had awful experiences with Brembo and Mintex pads, they made the pedal spongey.

Have you cha much since that time we gave it a check over in the garage?

Re your original question, iirc the next step up from a 22.2 is a Ford focus or Seat Ibiza 16v cylinder. I think a spacer is needed. And some Corrados had a 23mm one too apparently

Then there's the RS2 Audi option. 25.4mm part no from the RS2 Avant is 441 611 021B.
    Supposed to be a direct fit.

Some of those may well have bigger (13mm spanner) pipe nuts, but there are adapters available, iirc @Toyotec got some before.

3. Neil_Ireland Forum Member

I don’t recall what the G60 spec is Tristan.
    There’s a possibility of air in the system alright, the spec is the same as when I was down with you. The car was taken off the road not long after.
    Iirc there’s pagid pads all round, just standard motor factor ones.

I don’t mind spending on good pads like ds2500 or rs42 if it improves things.

I’ll look into the rs2 master cylinder, thanks.

Edit, forgot to add. I’ve the 4 callipers removed to have refurbished, was going to send them to big red but with brexit that might not be possible.

4. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

If you have g60 calipers up front the RS2 MC would be overkill/detrimental despite making the pedal firmer in the abscence of air.

5. Tristan

Jeez Neilo I'd be trying a rebuild and a good bleed, and double check the adjustment on the pushrod.

6. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

What he said..

7. Neil_Ireland Forum Member

The calliper refurb is something I want to do, I’m replacing all the discs and pads..obviously fluid too.

8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

You could always use a bleed nipple in the master cylinder outputs in place of each pipe temporarily
    to fins where the sponginess is coming from. Very old trick
    Jon

Neil_Ireland and Tristan like this.
  9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

G60 doesnt have a master cylinder as its ABS, so I guess its the 22mm MK2 16v version. if you look at the master body it shoudl have '22' on it somewhere, may need to use a mirror to see underneath

Neil_Ireland likes this.
  10. Neil_Ireland Forum Member

Great advice, thanks lads :)

11. costel1969

Chaps just out of curiosity, do you use a an actual brake bleeder when replacing fluid?
    The reason I ask is I bought a Motive Power bleeder and I really don't know myself since - absolutely great piece of kit and saves so much time and hassle.

12. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I have a gunsen one which does the job but I'm going to replace it soon as it leaks air so a right pain in the rear as the tyre goes flat before I can finish the job :lol: so will be looking at a 12v one or manual pump type for sure

13. Tristan

I've a vacuum one and a pressure one, but neither are brilliant. Handy for getting a "dry" system partially bled, but nothing beats the pumping foot combined with the pressure bleeder.
    I had a cheaper pressure one but they're junk, upgraded to the hand pumped one just like RJ is thinking of.

9 times out of 10, on a mk2, if it's a spongy pedal, the rear calipers need to be be unbolted and lifted up as high as possible with the bleed screw pointing to the top.

14. costel1969

I haven't flushed the Mk2 yet but I have used the bleeder to flush the Jeep and the 190E and to be honest it was a doddle and you could literally see the old dark fluid getting pushed into the drain bottle and then the newer fluid making it's way through.
    I pumped it to around 10psi (wouldn't recommend going beyond that) just to confirm the system was air tight and then depressurized, poured in around 1.5 liters of DOT4, pumped it up again and away I went - pedal nice and firm.
    Can't recommend it enough - picture of the thing below with the correct adapter/fitting for European cars.
    [​IMG]

15. Tristan

I've a similar, Laser one.

16. costel1969

Yep it's Laser over on that side of the pond and Motive Power over here