HOW TO: Access the MFA Secret menu

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by rubjonny, Jul 19, 2010.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the MFA vacuum is supposed to be connected to one of the nipples on the brake servo hose non-return valve, move it over there see if that helps. the big yellow and black thing on the back of the inlet

2. Miguel Duarte New Member

PROBLEM SOLVED!
    Because it was connected to the vacuum tank, it was reading a constant vacuum pressure. I connected to one of the nipples like you sayed and now it's working perfectly.
    Many many thanks for the help!! :)

Simon Peter Dodgson likes this.
  3. rubjonny

great stuff :)

4. andytids New Member

I have looked at my area code & it shows 6 instead of 4 for UK, plus my MPG shows at 1.0 - 3.8 ? the air pipes are connected in the right place & no leaks as far as I can tell.
    Plus my oil temp reads at almost double what it should be, such as 135 - 155 deg on normal road/motorway driving & my ambient temp is reading 26 deg when its actually 4 deg, but i expect that is just a sensor on its way out.

Everything else is right on the MFA - time, miles & speed.

So any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Andy

5. rubjonny

have you got any part number stickers on the cluster, sometimes it'll have one on the bottom

is it a ce1 or ce2 cluster? do the average speed and distance settings work

6. Hurden Paid Member Paid Member

Seems like as good a place as any to tag on this question. Can anyone tell me if the MFA from CE1 and CE2 clocks is interchangeable?

7. rubjonny

no the board design is completely different. you can mix and match CE2 motometer and VDO boards, but for CE1 often the motometer and vdo made boards are different as well. plus theres loads of variants of ce1 clusters, but ce2 are all the same main design the flash chip code differs depending on what engine and country.

Nate can re-flash them and also fiddle with the on board logic:
    https://www.clubgti.com/forums/inde...r-and-refurbishment-motometer-mfa-tach.289806

NateS2 likes this.
  8. Christian Svith New Member

Is there any Way you can change the different codes. like change the engine code?
    I have a PL engine code:111
    But my cluster shows engine code 032: PG engine

is it a new cluster or??

9. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

You can change the codes, of a fashion. But you would need the memory chip from a PL cluster (or at least close enough) for it to work. You'd also need a different pressure transducer for Vacuum rather than pressure. However, get your current cluster on eBay with the title *RARE* GOLF MK2 G60!!!!! CLUSTER MFA MFD SPEEDOMETER TACHOMETER WON'T FIND ANOTHER *RARE* *MINT* for about £300 and you'll have plenty of funs to get a PL cluster ;)

Christian Svith likes this.
  10. Darren Smith Forum Member

wen i do this now im just getting 3700 instead of rev counter wen i did this a couple of months ago the rev counter would cum.on but now just thes nos

11. rubjonny

I'm assuming the rev counter works ok, but what about the mpg display on the MFA? might just be you need to pull the dash fuse to reset the trip computer