Mk2 pd150 converted

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Adamss24, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Adamss24 Forum Member

Hello fellow forum members, I have a track focused mk2 golf, almost stripped out, I am using it for fast road drive/track events however the whole engine management it’s off the mk4 golf so there is no fuel level working on the dash- only have 2 wires supplying power to the in-tank pump. I need to swap the tank for a mk3 jobbie, does it need to be specifically for a diesel or a petrol one will do ? Cheers !

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Not 100% but thought the mk2 caddy/inca would take a mk3 pump either petrol or diesel, so probably will.
    May have been something like a plastic ring to remove in bottom of tank to make a certain one fit on those. Obviously that may only be caddy, and just knocked it off. ( caddy forum gone now)
    Try cross reference of tanks on etka?

3. Adamss24 Forum Member

Thanks for taking the time to answer, will look into it !

4. dodgy

No worries, infact it may be the mk4 lift pump that needed the ring removed from inside tank on the caddy, I was going pd130 in mine until divorce hit so unfortunately didnt get round to fitting it.

5. Adamss24 Forum Member

Sorry to hear about your misfortune!

6. dodgy

Haha, yeah was sad to get rid of project, but that was 6years ago, now I'm very fortunate with a wife as daft as me :)

Adamss24 likes this.
  7. Adamss24 Forum Member

You should really try-it if you can, the pd130/150 has so much potential and it’s a really strong engine ! I try hard to break it so I can rebuild it stronger but it just won’t let go ! One thing the pd is rough compared to the VE engines, it shakes and vibrates worse ! However it’s a blast to drive-mine it’s in excess of 350 Bhp…trust me it’s quick !

dodgy likes this.
  8. Adamss24 Forum Member

Some pictures of the work In progress… it’s been an ongoing process…

Attached Files:

dodgy likes this.
  9. dodgy

So are you running solid flywheel or dmf still, understood the dmf smooths it a bit, plus the timing of pump when cambelt is changed is something else that causes wobble.
    Did consider the pd as the swap for my golf, but got the S3 lump.
    Are you running the fuel cooler from the donor or an oil cooler acting as one?
    Had a GTTDI engine with 6 speed, vrs shafts, modded alloy rear mount, clutch conversion, all the pumps, filters and cooler, lines and was in the middle of building the loom, ended up splitting it and selling it for next to nothing, such is life.
    Had an A4 avant with a 1.9 pd115, massively reliable and over 200k on it, great motor.

10. Adamss24 Forum Member

I am running a solid flywheel with a Sachs SRE clutch, it’s fine but quite harsh engagement from cold ! No fuel cooler but tank is getting warm after a hard drive. 6 speed gearbox here too, custom gearbox mount and custom driveshafts…they hold ok so far ! I too had a host of b5/6 and 7 Audi’s, with different engines ranging from 1.9 Ve tdi,2.5 tdi, 1.9 pd tdi, a 3.0 Quattro, a 3.0 tdi and even a s4 v8… all really good motors, utterly reliable! Now I am driving as a daily the latest b6/b7 incarnation- a 2011 seat exeo 2.9 CR tdi, it’s a 330k miles and ticks over like when it was new !

dodgy likes this.