Sagging roof lining fix, Mk2!

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Rustbuster, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Mk2 cos I fixed it about a year ago. Just small areas, both rear corners above c-pillars. Stripped off what was left of the foam backing and glued it with spray adhesive and it’s been ok. But, I think with the hot weather last couple of days, it’s sagging again. Has anyone found a more permanent fix for this wounder of a problem?

2. watercooled Forum Member

Problem is you may need to pull it right down and start from scratch,its reached a point that it will get worse till it completely falls down it the middle.
    The backing foam turns to dust so there's nothing for the lining to bond to.
    I not sure of all mk2's but my 87 GTI had a molded (urethane ?) foam structure and really rather fragile and my darling son decided to remove it and broke it in many places when I wasn't around this was made worse by the fact it was a sunroof car,
    I spent a good few days fiberglassing it back together before it could be recovered,I'am really DIY but got a trimmer mate to redo it in mk4 golf material which has the base foam bonded to it,came out amazing but the guy is very clever .
    It was the hardest job in the full resto,but IMO worth it,cheers.

Attached Files:

Rustbuster likes this.
  3. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

That’s a really nice job. If your mate’s ever in the UK make sure he comes to see me:lol:.

4. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I’m just going to buy one of them eBay jobbies. I didn’t even attempt to remove mine nicely.

5. watercooled Forum Member

I will tell him to book the tickets LOL,I'am going to get him to do my drivers side seat in the Corrado it will wind him up cause he hates german car seats,even more if they are Recaro's :).
    He is very talented for a young guy,hard to find good trimmers in my country,seems it a bit of a dying art ?.

6. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

7. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

It looks excellent. Where did you get the mk4 material?

8. Tristan

There's definitely some being made in Europe too, iirc to the East

Rustbuster likes this.
  9. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

When I watched the vid on Utube the guy used a high temp adhesive and an activator to make sure it bonded well to all the surfaces. When we did ours (within the last 6 months or so) we used the high temp adhesive. So far, touch wood, it's been ok. I'll find a link to the stuff we used.

Rustbuster likes this.
  10. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Rustbuster likes this.
  11. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Definitely a good idea my headlining was perfect up to 2017 despite a life outside. The extremes of weather surely finished it off high humidity and relentless 30 degree heatwaves. At the very least I wish I'd swapped out the clear glass years ago.

Rustbuster likes this.
  12. watercooled Forum Member

Sorry mate missed your question,my trimmer imports the material for Europe as it comes with the foam layer bonded to it which he mentioned is the only to get a nice end result which he proved.
    I had the original black material still in one piece but he said no way it could be reused,its also critical to use a high temp waterproof contact adhesive ,he used a glue but note sure of brand but think it was Bostick (spelling ?) or similar.
    This is a thin spraygun adhesive that he used but for brush- on he mentioned Ados F38 which I used on one of my Porsche 944's,that stuff sticks like s#it to a blanket and stays put.
    Cheers.

13. Tristan

I've actually ordered 20 new headliners from PDKLASSIKS in Poland myself.

14. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Chaps - slight hijack here but would you recommend something like this to get door card covering back onto the actual door card material - my 190e is suffering from this on 3 of 4 doors (common complaint by all accounts)

15. Tristan

The glue used for trimming camper van conversions or carpet trimming the back of panel vans. Sorry I don't have a brand name.