Mk2 Top mounts.. G60 vs Mk3

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Tristan, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I'm an advocate of the mk3 mount in a mk2, after following the thread here years ago and switching to them. Definitely superior to mk2 GTI types.

I've never seen or used a G60 one though, what's better about them than GTI?

Is it just firmer?

I like the proper bearing in the mk3 items.

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I’m fairly sure it’s mk2 type, not the nice bearing like the Mk3 but John will be along to correct me

3. Tristan

That's what I was thinking too Sam.

4. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

G60's do have bearings in them but its all part of the rubber mount thing so you can't swap is separately. A thing to note is I'm fairly sure MK3 (and I think MK4) actually immobilise the strut piston, forcing it rotate in the shock body. The spring load goes through the bearing but the shock piston has to rotate in the shock seals. G60 items provide bearings for the piston and the spring. No idea if that has any impact on shock absorber life but it's something to think about

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

G60 or general MK2 mounts, sold by the aftermarket seem to be the same thing.
    I remember the days of using my MK2 as a daily, the durability went like this.

Drive it everyday on public roads, neither had any issue, even on the high spring rates I ran at the time.

I specifically 'upgraded' to so called Geesixtee parts for trackdays.
    It took one Brands Hatch evening using the left curb at Surtees, with some commitment to start tearing the mount.
    The same would happen for mounts not requested as "G60".
    MK3 top mounts did not suffer the same issue on track . However they have other issues, such as beating the cone smaller into the body turret ( if I can call it that)
    As said, for a road car it does not matter. For a track car, well, the only way is with solid mounts. That of course will mean the car will become very buzzy and harsh in the cabin. I was no prepared to compromise the daily purpose of the car to that step. The car still has stock parts, to be murdered on the next track day [:D]

Savagesam likes this.
  6. davidut5 Forum Member

What is the difference in top mount lemforder 10239 and 10240?

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

10239 is normal mk2 mount, 10240 is G60 (Passat in reality) mount. the original parts may have been stronger, but aftermarket manufactured often may not be all that different in terms of strength. lemforder is an OEM manufacture so you might have better luck.

There is a subtle difference G60 vs OEM in genuine parts. G60:
    g60topmount.jpg

Standard:
    stdmk2.jpg

oh and to put paid to the rumour that MK3 turrets are larger than MK2 ones which was going around for some reason:
    g60vsmk3.jpg

as Eddie already said though, for a normal road car with reasonably standard suspension you should be alright on the mk2 stuff, use top quality makes and if given the choice go g60. if your car is lowered a fair amount and/or stiff coilovers or you take it on track days then consider going for the mk3 top mounts. they still do wear out though I myself have seen the very same issue on mine as Eddie did, I dont track it or drive all that hard but they squish right down eventually and your MOT man will flag it up
    20171209_103048.jpg

davidut5 likes this.
  8. davidut5 Forum Member

Thanks, got the 10240, were slightly cheaper than 10239. Hope to get rid of that clunk.

Attached Files:

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I assume becasue they're lowly old passat mounts and not had the 'g60 tax' added :lol:

10. Tristan

Good information there John.

11. davidut5 Forum Member

Replaced both, appears clunk gone. Still had some play in the bearing, but this is the type they are without preload. The new one in the video is the right one, the left had very little play.
    Feels a little softer in the front now, very nice.
    I will get some for the rear.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021