Mk5 gti electrical nightmare

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by mk2 nas, May 16, 2021.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Great news glad its fixed.

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

That’s great news. I was almost getting excited that you were going to sell it cheap to me ;)

3. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Man, those dealers are something else, to quote the great Leo Getts from Lethal Weapon - "they f**k you, they f**k you and they f**k you!"

4. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Screenshot_20210803-231826_WhatsApp.jpg Screenshot_20210803-231836_WhatsApp.jpg Not posted for a bit.but the mk5 developed
    Almost same dash lights as before.this is after vw,s £550 fix.anyway long story short it's been at a local auto electrician.
    He did remove dash and found at least 8 or 10 wires that's were just corroded beyond belief really.copper that had gone green and when touched just disintegrating in his fingers.(I will post pics)when he sends them.
    Not sure on all wires he replaced but he did say wires to canbus were some that hes done.there must have been a long standing water leak at windscreen over a long time.
    So now we think it really is sorted just got it back today.this has been going on since mid may.now nearly a grand in lol.pics now edited in I beleive from what I'm told these orange grouped wires are canbus comms wires
    VW made them like this bunched together in some sort of sleeve but clearly knackered with water.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah thats the trouble with interior looms, VW have lots of these ultrasonicly welded joints then they just put a bit of loom tape over them no real seals. so if you have a car thats been damp for a long time all these joints are prone to corrosion. have to say thats one of the worst I've seen though

6. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

Hopefully this will be the last fix it needs! I also have a mk5 and do not look forward to electrical problems.

Whilst I don't think it has anything to do with the faults you have experienced, but it is worth a quick mention. It's worth keeping drain holes in the windscreen scuttle and sunroof (if you have one) clear. More importantly so - teach your daughters/sons to do the same :-) Saves a lot of head ache.

costel1969 likes this.
  7. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Looks like the bmw my mate brought round Saturday afternoon, water ingress, plus broken wires.
    Fingers crossed that it's ok for you now, at least you've found a good auto electrician.

8. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Yes hopefully good now.wants to be really
    As its cost nearly a grand to sort out.
    Worst is its not even mine lol.my daughters
    And she cleared herself buying the car so bank of dad to the rescue
    So now I have shares in it.lol

9. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Leo gets lol about right.when you think they've f@cked you over theres more and more.at least now I've found a really good auto electrician that knows his stuff.

10. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Think positively, you’ve got a weekend blaster!

11. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Yea like buying a timeshare in her car lol.
    I get to blast it about now and then so all good.