ABF Alternator and PAS Pump

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by DanP21, Aug 2, 2021.

1. DanP21 New Member

Hi All,

I’m a bit confused on what alternator/PAS set up I need to run on the ABF engine and hoping someone can help me identify the parts I need to continue my build. I’m looking to run power steering but not AC

I have;
    Alternator bracket part - 037 903 143 C
    Power steering bracket - 028 145 523 D

Are these the right brackets? Do I need to change them for different ones or need additional brackets?

Also which alternator is best to run? There seems to be a few and I was thinking of 90a non AC Lucas alternator (product number 401440511 from ECP) but would rather pay the extra for Bosch if its worth it.

P.S I’m going to be running the ribbed pulleys

Appreciate any help you are able to give!
    Thanks

2. DanP21 New Member

Anyone able to help? I can post pictures of the parts I have if that makes it easier

Thanks

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

assuming you're converting an aircon engine to non-aircon, all you need is the ribbed belt waterpump pulley from any non-ac mk3 1.8-2.0 8v or 16v. then use late abf non-ac alt belt, and any 1.8-2.0 non-ac pas belt.

037903143C is early abf non-ac but with self-tensioner wheel bracket, so with that use early abf non-ac belt 037903137G. 028145523D doesnt show up in ETKA, but as long as its mk3 1.8-2.0 you're fine they're all the same.

as for alternator usual spec is 75a which is perfectly fine, or you can use a 90a if you like. with this type of bracket you can use 120 and 15a from vr6 (swap pulley) or mk4 4 cylinder even, but all overkill no need for it

erreesse likes this.
  4. DanP21 New Member

Thanks for the reply, massively helpful!

Can I just check something? In the first paragraph you mention using the late ABF non-ac alt belt, and then mention the early non-ac alt belt 037903137G

Looking on ECP I see a Dayco drive belt 11.5X685 for PAS non-ac - I assume this one will this one work?

Thanks!

5. rubjonny

so there are 2 lengths of ABF alt belt depending on age. the late belt is also what you need if you're converting an early car from aircon to non-ac. the reason is the late non-ac abf engine uses the same bracket as the aircon cars, VW dropped the tensioner bracket for non-ac cars after around 1996.

so, you have 3 brackets:
    1. early 8v non-ac, the alternator has a massive spring under it to set tension
    2. early non-ac abf up to 96, with tensioner wheel but no holes for ac compressor
    3. ac and also non-ac post-96 abf, with tensioner wheels and holes for the ac compressor

bracket #3 moves alternator up and further away from the block, so the non-ac belt is longer than bracket #2

bracket #1 needs 037903137E = 894mm
    bracket #2 needs 037903137G = 976mm
    bracket #3 needs 037903137H = 1033mm

the pas setup is the same for all 3 brackets regardless of if the car has ac or not. for non-ac you need v-belt 037145271E = 685mm

HTH :)

mk2_benj and erreesse like this.
  6. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Holy thread revival batman..
    Prepping my ABF Ibiza for a rally 24th Oct (Cheviot Stages) and need a bigger ABF alternator (90A rather than 70A)
    I am told by my local car parts place they look the same but the bigger amperage has a slightly larger pulley.
    Its single bolt pivot mount at the top, slotted at the bottom. Has a mini timer plug 2 pin for the Alt warning light.
    Havent had any joy searching for one, anybody have a part number?
    Thanks
    Jon
    Need more amps as my spotlights take 26A !!!

7. rubjonny

030903023C, 028903025P and 028903025PX

erreesse likes this.
  8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Much appreciated, you are a lifesaver, as ever
    Regards
    Jon

watercooled likes this.
  9. rubjonny

no problem :)

10. DanP21 New Member

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  11. rubjonny

That's wrong alternator for your bracket setup, you have an alternator for early non-ac mk3 with large spring under the alternator to set tension. The one you need has 4 bolt holes with no movement of the alt possible

12. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Went a slightly different route, fitted a 120A unit. Fixed bottom mount meant I had to slot a new bottom plate in ali
    and attach an ali block reaction plate between the bottom mount twin bolt arrangemant, to make if effectively swivel around the top bolt.
    Phew
    Anybody needs pics, please ask
    Result is my rally car has 14v at tickover with 7 forward facing additional lights burning watts and providing lux..
    Obviously the poor engine has to spin this lot up, but hey ho
    Regards
    Jon

13. DanP21 New Member

14. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Thanks, but that one is a 2 bolt fixed mount type, not one bolt and slotted second as per my first post
    Jon

15. DanP21 New Member

Ah sorry mate my reply was meant to be to rubjonny about the alternator I need! Haha

16. rubjonny

yep that one will do you fine, you can also use MK4 golf 4 cylinder alternators on the late tensioner wheel setup so lots to choose from

17. DanP21 New Member

Perfect, thank you!