GTI-Engineering Dash Gauge...

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Zender Z20, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Old post from a few years back that I originally put up on the previous MK2OC site, that was then partly cut'n'pasted across to the new forum before it would've been lost forever... so yet again some of you may have already seen one / other or both versions of this.

It lost an awful lot in the first move and yet more putting it up here.

It's also all over the place, haven't got the hang of this forums way of uploading yet!

As a very quick background this set up was installed by GTI Enginnering (and I believe others) either in place of or to supplement the regular 3 x dial affairs you more commonly see.

They appear to have adapted the VDO marine gauge surround. The catalogue images and inter-web images below that I've nicked of the gauge in a couple of other peoples car (due credit if they are yours) show it with VDO's 'Cockpit international' style of gauge, which is period to the time.

I've used very slightly later VDO 'Mobilcockpit' and 'Nachtdesign' ones, just prefer the look plus they're back-lit unlike the older gauge that has ambient lighting shining on the face.

Might interest some of you that the 'Mobilcockpit' and 'Nachtdesign' plastic bezels twist off / on (with care!) whereas the 'Internationals' metal bezel is fixed on.

Be careful if you see any with 'Oettinger' or similar on the faces, they did officially exist but can potentially be re-created too.

Hopefully you'll get the idea from the piccies of what's involved if you want to have a go yourself as I haven't the will power to copy it all out again, sorry!

... and before anyone mentions it, the symbol on the handbrake warning panel was correctly done as per the GTIE catalogue, it's not upside down!

The last image I didn't steal and is of it in situ.

14.jpg
    17.jpg
    18.jpg
    19.jpg

24.jpg
    a.jpg
    b.jpg
    c.jpg
    q.jpg
    1.jpg
    8.jpg
    9.jpg
    10.jpg

finito.jpg

dragonfly likes this.
  2. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

That does look great. Amazing what they tried to do to be different back in the day