02s into Mk1 VR6

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by bonus85, May 14, 2020.

1. bonus85 Forum Member

The FBL code 02j V5 box I picked up of unknown history and condition is whining pretty badly now that I’m getting my conversion on the road; so I wonder... can I source an 02s and use the bellhousing, tower, flanges and speedo drive from mine and swap it over?

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

It has been done, but the 02S has a very different gear set than the FBK or FBL 02J.
    So you need to choose your ratios carefully.

Hotgolf likes this.
  3. bonus85 Forum Member

So I'm here now with an 02s in my shed, ready to take the 02j out.

I've never taken gearbox apart - are there any 02j rebuild guides a out there for torque settings etc.?

So apart from the obvious, take one bellhousing off and swap it over, does anyone know if there's anything else I will run into?

I don't mind replacing some bearings and things while I'm in there so any advice would be great

4. bonus85 Forum Member

I got stuck in. Switching the input and out put shafts across to the 02j bellhousing, and then placing the 02s case, it's seems the output shaft is extremely tight and barely turns yet there's a load of play in the input shaft.

Am I gonna have to dismantle them and re shim them? Any help would be grand.

5. dogzila Forum Member

Try turn without shift fork :)