Got the g/box off the old 1.8 KR and found issues !!

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by watercooled, May 29, 2021.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Not sure how compatible the Passat stuff is tbh, not really looked into it. But you see the repair kits on the corrado groups though it depends how the handle broke I guess

2. watercooled Forum Member

John the kit is the door latch lever which breaks near the pivot pin,the kit includes 2 levers,pivot pins and washers,levers are CNC machined in stainless and redesigned to never break ,fairly priced too,all up about $32usd delivered and the seller is reliable.
    These handles are rather robust and well made however the latch pivot is the week point ,pretty sure I will buy these and repair the LH side one also.

3. watercooled Forum Member

Fine tuned a few things yesterday,took it out for a drive and it ran around 85C max water temp and oil temp was around 90-92C which I think sounds correct,have a fault with the coolant level gauge now even with correct level,I can only think the sensor is dirty or buggered,might remove it and give it a clean anyway.
    Hope to get a wheel alignment this week and then get a WOF (like MOT ) and drive it a bit to iron out any bugs.
    Moving on,cheers.

4. watercooled Forum Member

Limited amount done due to weather and extended lockdown,finished repairing butchered wiring in the drivers door,not only from alarm fitment but there were parts of the loom that were chewed up by window going up and down ,rewrapped sections of loom....tidy now.
    My alarm removal went TOO well,horns not working,relay is triggering but there is no output voltage to horns,will have to pull fusebox again !!!! and locate A1 plug and check wiring ,can only presume wires cut into for alarm to activate horns as I haven't found a separate horn for the alarm only.
    I have a non stock steering wheel as original had the grip delaminated from the inside part and very worn,was just plain ugly besides,its a Momo 4 spoke and nice looking wheel and also period correct as made in 3rd month 1989,currently doing a resto on it including tidy up and rewiring horn contacts and will clean and condition/recolour the leather which is in great condition but faded and dry.
    Will update as I go,cheers.

dodgy likes this.
  5. watercooled Forum Member

Was moving along and was getting BS from my multimeter ,one lead was shot so ordered a new set Covid free to my place "no contact".
    Swapped out horn relay for same and no result even after jumping relay...told me what I already knew but pissed off to pull the fuseboard again as it a shit job in these cars,found the issue was mine as I had chopped out the wrong wire when deleting alarm…..what a dick ??,redid it and all is good ,one good think was that the A1 plug was easy to get to ,real happy with result.
    Been doing a tidy up on interior trim ,fitted JBL panel speakers into the rear after chopping away plastic to make them fit in the rear panels and certainly better than the gutless stock fit speakers.
    Did a basic wheel alignment using the "old" school method ,got it better so steering should be sorta ballpark enough for doing road tests.
    Moving on and but still finding all the little jobs seem to take longer than what I have done with the engine conversion,never mind still enjoy it and have other things on the go so sometimes move to them and get back to the Corrado later.....find it helps to clear my head :).
    Cheers.

dodgy and costel1969 like this.
  6. rubjonny

good progress, list getting shorter :)

7. watercooled Forum Member

Waiting for parts to arrive ,door handle repair kit from Germany is way out of time for delivery but previous parts from there have always been slow .
    So moved on to my sunroof issues as I have the common "tilt but no slide issue " ,frankly due to the design and resulting parts that fail this is certainly dodgy ground ,part number LH latch piece ( 357 877 385 ) is broken @ the end and I believe this is why the roof won't slide back,this part I can remove and replace or repair.
    Question is can I remove the inner trim panel for repair and retrim with my correct opening issue ??,internet has been well researched but confusing.
    Thanks.

8. rubjonny

9. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks Mate,trawled thru pages of info till my eyes wore out haha and never found this one,had to put on my strong reading glasses to read the print ,thinking a might make that tool out of a piece of wood and try that.
    Shame VW went to this system considering how much better the design and workings are on the mk2 Golf,the Corrado one is a handover from the B3 Passat one with had a metal or glass roof ,thinking that's where they went wrong and the whole got a bit complicated ???.

10. watercooled Forum Member

Have left the sunroof job on hold and being doing less stressful stuff.
    Pulled the dizzy to try and work out oil leak issue, mainshaft seal has excellent friction and very clear it had a seal replacement @ sometime, think I have found the issue as dizzy body to head "o" ring is buggered so fitted new one ,way I see it if that's leaking it has a path to the driveshaft...time will tell eh.
    Bought coolant and then forgot my tank level sensor is crap, bridged to output and dash light went out,now to find new tank,no other way I can see to fix it ? ,at least I didn't have to remove the fusebox again.
    Have most of the interior panels apart ,lots of fix's to do as covering peeling on edges,repaired the door panels and the came out really nice.

11. watercooled Forum Member

Door handle repair kit arrived from Germany today ,top quality for a small part that is like bugger all compared to a cost of 250UK pounds to replace the whole handle from some suppliers.
    Now I can refit door panels but need to replace door moisture barriers before doing so,removed the LH side handle and that also has damaged wires caused by the window going up and down...again the wires not run correctly like drivers side.
    Got an email from from the past owner and he seems keen to buy it back but I won't have it finished for a while as not warm enough yet to do paintwork which certainly requires doing.

dodgy likes this.
  12. watercooled Forum Member

Everything is ticking along slowly but not rushing as no one buys cars over the early summer break in my country.
    Been dicked around by Covid but now I can book the car in for a wheel alignment,question is as this is a Mk2 platform is the alignment the same as the 89 year Mk2 Golf ??
    TIA,cheers.

13. rubjonny

yep 4 stud corrado = mk2 golf

14. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks John just as I thought ,on another subject attempted to post in electrical but no go ???,so I will chuck it up on here and look for answers as I'am a little out of new ones.Mentioned a while back I had issues with my tacho reading all over the place,nothing has really changed but now I find any function like indicators,headlights ,etc that run via the gauge cluster cause the tacho needle to bounce ???.
    Thinking bad earth to gauges ...maybe.
    TIA.

15. rubjonny

sounds like it or cluster is bust. theres an earth to the cylinder head its a brown/white wire and another earth which goes direct to the main earth rail inside the fusebox

16. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks RJ as usual,found bad earth @ battery and now fixed,tacho no longer working but other gremlins gone in the rest of the cluster.
    MFA is working except for MPG function but not loosing any sleep over that.
    Don't think its worth chasing other causes and resign myself to a buggered tacho ??? not sure.

17. H8V

h8v Forum Member

You've checked the vacuum pipe that goes onto a connector at the back of the instrument cluster?

18. rubjonny

if the average speed and distance settings work as well as tacho then its either vac line to the back as said or an internal cluster issue

19. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks all,gives me something to try,I had the cluster out to repair odometer drive when first got the car....maybe I didn't hook that hose on the rear of it properly ??.
    I have a vacuum tester and have traced the line for it so may put a couple of PSI on it and see if it holds before I remove the cluster,good idea ???.
    Won't be doing much today as its after mid day and as hot as buggery,cheers.

20. rubjonny

this is worth a look, see if you can get a reading on vac unit with secret menu, compare engine off and on:
    https://www.clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-access-the-mfa-secret-menu.219196/

not sure if its the same in rado but in mk2 if you take lower trim off you can get head in footwell and shine a tourch up behind the clocks to see if the hose is on it, if lucky might even have access to reach up and attach. dont count on it though :lol: