K-Jet vs E10

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by drunkenalan, Jul 12, 2022.

1. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

So my mk2 has been off the road for a while.. 3 years. so imagine any fuel in the tank is going to be like Carling. before i set about re-assembling the system back into the car, i thought i would check how peoples K-Jet systems are standing up to E10?

it's my 2nd car, so isn't be used all the time, i hear E10 doesnt like being stood about and while i am rebuilding things i thought i might take the opportunity to future proof it.

Ethanol content is likely to go up in the future. I have no issue using 'Super', in-fact by default i probably would to continue to do so for as long as its available, but it wont be here forever.

2. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I only use super. Definitely drop your tank and clear out all of the old stuff, your car will thank you for it when it comes to starting
    Future proofing is the way forward, let us know what you plan on doing

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Would lead additive and/or fuel stabiliser help?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

probably the main one would be the rubber hose on the lift pump as its submersed, even if you dont use E10 its probably buggered by now:
    https://www.clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/lift-pump-bellows-piece-mk2-16v.291024/

while you're there do all the rubber sections from lift pump to main pump under car, the only one which is special is the end of the feed line to bottom of tank as its a reducer hose 7mm -> 11mm part number 171201543B

as the originals are attached with the special crimps you'll need new fuel line clips for those N 10083401 -> N 10196901 which are the funcy ones you have to nip closed like CV joint clips or just get good aftermarket hose clips (not jubilees!)

5. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

thanks RJ, I have opened the tank, you're right the rubber in the tank is perished but seems to still be working.. testament to VW that a hose can last 37 years though!

I'll be working my way forward. looking at the longer pipes that run from accumulator to the engine bay. they are different, but does anyone know of they are E10 compatible? i am going to swap to a different setup as i plan to run carbs.

i have considered the mk3 tank setup, but i dont think its really what i need for Carbs

i have and O clip kit, might just need to buy the sizes required if i dont have them.

6. KeithMac Forum Junkie

What carbs?, motorcycle carbs don't get on with E10.

At the very least make sure you have Viton tipped fuel needles.

7. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

Webers 45's

KeithMac likes this.
  8. Eddog New Member

E10 is another "Green " disinformation, it takes more energy to produce than straight petrol, you go less distance because the calorific value is less than straight petrol ergo it isn't "Green " . The ethanol content is aggressive to many materials, some might think this is a way to quickly destroy older cars.

daNpy likes this.