Drive Shaft (Inner) CV Gasket...

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Zender Z20, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Had to take my new shafts off at the gearbox, in the process of which one of the gaskets got mangled

Believe part# to be 8D0 407 309, for 100mm flanges.

Gasket itself is 94mm, still available it seems but VW ones are idiotic money for what is a piece of cork!

Tight git that I am looks like Skoda do a version (has an extra ear on it for some reason) - anyone can confirm it's compatible or better still another that's cheaper elsewhere?

Don't say to leave it out, I'm a pedant.

2. Zender Z20

'92 MK2 Golf by the way...

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Never bothered with them.

4. Zender Z20

You can go off people!

5. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Oh I'm horrible, tbh

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I've never even seen one on the cars I've worked on let alone had the option to keep or remove :lol:

VW price of 7.67 inc vat seems terrible... till you check the prices ebay sellers have them at :(

Zender Z20 likes this.
  7. Zender Z20

Yup, somebody's making a killing on these.

The replacement shafts came with a new pair (SKF) and as they're also showing on 7Zap just went with the flow.

Hopefully the 'box will be back in a day or two and in again soon after, didn't want to be messing around waiting on stuff so ordered one well in advance from LLLParts as they were the cheapest at just over £9.00 posted.

By the time I'd have gone to the Skoda dealer (and assuming they had one in stock) it wasn't worth the hassle for less than two quid... sorry boy now, LLL only stuck it in the post a full week after ordering and it's still not here yet, shower of wasters!

I think the Skoda one is the same, the tab is just that and there to make it easier to pull off the backing, it's not shaped into the cork.

Could be wrong but gives the impression they're maybe adhesive on one side, the SKF ones were already in amongst the pre-greased cups, under the transit cap so nothing to compare to.

If they are it's a good idea and would definitely make it much easier to fit things, specially if you're lying upside down on the floor trying to align 3 or 4 different things at once!

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

thats handy then

9. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I bought some for my Corrado the other year and think one side was sticky. Good to know the SKF come with then as they are on my radar. Where did you get them from?

10. Zender Z20

Got them from Autodoc on a big discount day, must've been over a year ago now.

Had shopped about and they were genuinely the cheapest at the time.

I'm 100% sure they came with the cork gasket / pre lubed and a new hub nut, but only 99% sure they also came with the 6 x hex bolts and 3 x spacers per side also, starting to doubt myself all this time later so don't take that as gospel.

Since got a pair for the MK1 and they definitely only came pre lubed and with a new hub nut, none of the rest.

11. Zender Z20

Note to self... avoid LLLParts like the plague.

Only saving grace is they've sent the right thing so if you're in the market for one or more (apart from recommending you
    getting it elsewhere) can say it fits and is indeed adhesive on one side, plus the ear is just a tab to help peel the backing off.

The SKF ones came buried loose in the pre-packed grease and while nice to get them thrown in for the price were a bugger to line up because of it.

flange gasket.jpg

flange gasket1.jpg

flange gasket2.jpg