MK1 Zender Monologue...

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Zender Z20, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

No excuse for ignoring the MK1, but in fairness the MK2 has been taking up all my attention for months trying to get it finished before the end of summer, unfortunately that's recently taken an unwelcome back seat because of gear shift problems.

For want of something constructive to do while waiting for the MK2's gearbox to come back from the shop started tinkering at the MK1's air flow meter.

One thing lead to another and voilà... a pile of bits.

Going to look further into the fuel metering valve side of things before starting on it, everything up to this point has been straight forward, but that looks like you could possibly f++k it up going in unprepared!

For those of you who like to see how something's put together -

1.jpg

AKAeddypeck likes this.
  2. Zender Z20

... and not that you'd know it, after a clean.

2.jpg

3. Zender Z20

Semi re-assembled... have to get a new gasket and whatever the metering valve will need also so no point tightening things up.

Got to admire the engineers at Bosch 40 plus years ago, creating a simple, reliable and likely cheaply made piece of mechanical gagetry to do the job it does.

When you break it down into the surprisingly few component parts it's nothing short of amazing as you start to understanding how it works.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

4. Zender Z20

Been swotting up on how to refurb. the metering valve and (famous last words) it all seems very doable / straightforward.

Car's been sitting in excess of 10 years and I think leaving well alone's not an option. Much prefer to sort it out now than have to come back to it further down the line.

Seal kits seem readily available for 0 438 100 100 as are most, if not all, the other things such as the plunger spring etc.

Will get what's needed before breaking it open, just incase I get left in the lurch!

Understandably cleanliness is very important and care following instructions too, but other than that, has anyone else done this and can add from their own experiences... there's always something unforeseen and good to get any hints / tips from someone who's actually done it.

6.jpg

7.jpg

5. AKAeddypeck Forum Member

I can't remember if you've said previously if you have an air compressor or not, but I can recommend making up a soda blaster. It would help you get that aluminium parts a tad cleaner without fear of damage.

I used some fish tank hose, a long nose air blower and bought a bulk load of bicarb.

I didn't strip down my own fuel head though. I sent that off to KMI.

Best of luck

Zender Z20 likes this.
  6. Zender Z20

Cheers - No compressor I'm afraid... the aluminium having some discolouration isn't really a biggie, as long as it's not a grimey dirt it's OK and I quite like that well lived / used look anyhow. It's sort of the 'Dodgy' of the air flow meter world!

Got quite deep into the later Bosch AFM's on the 205 and MK2, something satisfying about getting your head around how they worked and then being able to fine tune and have a go at fixing them.

If anything these K-jet forerunner's are even more impressive, relying that much more heavily on mechanical engineering than electronics.

Sad I know, but stuff like this interests me!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    AKAeddypeck likes this.
  7. daNpy Forum Member

This is absolutely a great job, I am and have been glad there is nothing like this on my MK2 anymore, it got removed before I bought the car [:D]
    Interesting technique tho, but not easy as far as I know.

Zender Z20 likes this.
  8. Zender Z20

Took the sump off today and sieved the residual oil at its bottom, left after normal draining.

Found these, maybe the remains of a valve stem seal?

The 2 x black pieces above the coin are silcone, I'm guessing it's from the half moon shaped rubber piece that fits on the end of the head between it and the cork gasket / rocker cover... someone looks to have been been a bit over generous whenever it was last put back on and some had squeezed out.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

9. Zender Z20

Took the MC off and it's the 40+ year old original FAG... you sort of assume Ate would've been the OE supplier or maybe both were.

Cleaned up reasonably well, seals and such seem good and it all came apart easily so not seized for example.

Was looking at 7Zap to see if I can refurb. it and found there were official VW kits available to do it, 171 698 181 G.

Bentley even has a quite detailed section explaining how, so presumabably it was the done thing back then rather than simply replace everything as seems to be the way of it nowadays.

Possible too there are some kits being remanufactured, but yet to confirm anything... though even they prove to be what I need the prices for what are in reality a few bits of rubber are incredible.

Ironically it's become not that much more expensive to get a genuine Ate with the 2 x brake light switches already on if you hunt about or a fraction of the price of either if you go for a less well known brand / latter day copies.

There's a primary and seconday piston in these, oddly 7Zap only seem to show the first one.

My secondary is stuck in at the moment, so it's not pictured, though some air through it'll should do the trick, unfortunately don't have my own compressor.

The piston bore in mine that can be seen seems fine but quite gummed up, apparently you can 'hone' them if needed but any scoring etc. can mean they should be replaced... have to wait and see on that one.

If it's recoverable originals are far too expensive to bin and it'll hopefully act as a spare.

If you look at the 7Zap schematic... #5 is described as an 'intermediate piece'.

To me it appears to be a simple 'T' piece with bleed valve, obviously has a purpose, but other than being in a relatively handy place is it not just replicating what can be done elswwhere in the system and is it relevent that it's between the brake light switch and MC?

1.JPG

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

10. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Damned impressive work you have done and loving the actual restoring which is Great to understand how it all works.
    I intend on splitting and cleaning my mk2 fuel system, so may need to ask your advice when I do.
    Keep up the great work

Zender Z20 likes this.
  11. Zender Z20

Cheers... just enjoy taking things apart, a lot of the time can't be fixed, but satisfying when you can.

All new to me too, but if there's anything I can help with, not a problem.

Found a few sources for the metering valve refurb. kits, though prices seem to vary greatly, plus there seem to be partial kits available and they don't all have the exact same thing in them.

When I finally get my head around what I'm after will order one up, rather not discover I'm down something small when it's all spread out in front of me.

The master cylinder kits are much the same, was looking again last night and it's the full on refurb. ones that can cost as much as a new MC... they even include new pistons - TRW do one, but it's £130+ depending on where you look.

The rubber seal only kits are much cheaper, Autofren's are less than a tenner.

I think looking again at the 7Zap schematic the smaller of the two piston arrangements (both are marked 15) is the secondary piston after all, will be able to confirm when I get my own out.

At the end of the day it's a safety item and I wouldn't be blindly messing with it, but as Bentley give a pretty comprehensive 'how to' and with the right parts / following instructions there's no reason, with care not to.

12. Zender Z20

More or less stripped out the engine bay of anything that could get in the way of pulling the engine / gearbox out.

With the exception of the injectors and the speedo cable at its 'box end everything came off just fine.

The speedo cables top cover / plastic gasket and nut were OK, it was the metal cupped bit beneath that the plastic pinion is attached to that was tight in... just took some careful prying with a screw driver.

It was the injectors that really wouldn't budge.

Discovered there's a tool for doing it (Schley #83400) but they don't seem to be readily available to the UK for some reason, would've thought there'd be a market?

It's nothing exciting, will probably make one up myself in time.

Even so, didn't want to wait so tried a few things and if you're own injectors won't shift give this a go... a bit of thick cord wound twice around the gap between fuel line union and injector itself, pulls straight up and out.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

tool.JPG

13. Zender Z20

Old angle iron... not pretty, but bet it's stronger than the bought one!

Slots are a bit (a lot) skewwiff, but joys of only having hand tools.

I'd recommend the larger slot needs to be reasonably accurate so it's solely directing all its force upwards against the fuel line bracket and not risk the thread of the injector, other than that an easy hours work.

The rope trick - I'd all the inlet gubbins off when using that, might not be just so straight forward if you were taking the injectors out with everything in situ... metal tool would probably come into its own in that case.

brkt.jpg

brkt1.jpg

brkt2.jpg

14. mortz2 New Member

Hello Sir..long time no see or hear...if you do have LBD's body kit in the attic get a bit of wet sand on it and start rubbing...if you have it you will find light green paint 100% wish'd they had camera phones back in the day ......it was really shit i tell you........if you don't see it then you don't have LBD's body kit...just to add as I remember DVLA logged a colour change from green to blue.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
    Zender Z20 likes this.
  15. Zender Z20

Wow... talk about feeling old, it has been a very, very long time!

And hello to you too, hope you're keeping well?

The Scirrocco lead unfortunately turned out to be a red herring, my memory playing tricks again and not him at all.

The green paint thing has cropped up elsewhere before and I do recall checking but couldn't find any, though will have a more 'forensic' look now that you in particular mention it again, will keep you posted.

Doing a Z20 was always my first dream, but ended up doing things all arse about tit with a 205 and then a MK2 (well, 99.9% there) getting in ahead of it instead.

It's going to happen, absolutely no doubt in my mind as to that... have done more to the MK1 this last month than in the preceding 12 odd years so will definitely be getting there eventually.

Some day you'll all look back at this piccie from today and not think it's the same car!

21Aug02.jpg

16. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

red chunks probably remains of old snapped dipstick guide tube

Zender Z20 likes this.
  17. Zender Z20

Very possibly, the car came with a folder of stuff and was wading through it again a few days ago... a new dip stick collar was amongst the receipts.

If it has to be anything, that'd be a much better outcome than a something like a valve seal.

Found these in the paperwork also -

Looks like the car's had engine work, no surprise as it was nearing 165K when I got it.

They're old school carbon copy invoices and while I can make some of it out, the hand writing's also a bit off and not helping things.

If anyones at a loose end, maybe have a stab at translating!

This is a scan, I've not reduced it too much, but the forum settings will probably resize it.

receipts009.jpg

18. stephen stanyer Forum Member

ist one supply new rings for vw 1.8 second rebore cyl block regrind crankshaft overhaul cyl head supply pistons ? gaskets That's my guess.

Zender Z20 likes this.
  19. Zender Z20

Yup, think you're right.

The new rings receipt, does it say + .5?

Presumably with a re-bore the new pistons must've been outsized and to the same amount?

The second receipt... it's the word on the last line, just before '& gaskets' that's foxing me the most.

Had to laugh - VAT at 17 1/2%

20. stephen stanyer Forum Member

Yes I think it does say +.5 cant imagine what it says before & gaskets