Advice on FMIC on MK2 1.8 BAM 20v project

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Todd Motto, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Todd Motto Forum Member

Hello friends! I just inherited this unfinished BAM conversion project - and would love some advice…

Photo (how the hell do you upload an image?!):
    5-A81-FCFF-31-E2-44-CA-979-C-A0-F6436-B5232.jpg

The car has this front mount intercooler - unknown brand.

problems:
    The bonnet catch has been removed to fit this FMIC, and cannot be reinstalled due to the position. The car has those quick release locks in a box but I don’t want to drill holes in the new paintwork… plus, the grille doesn’t fit over it properly so it’s a bit of a trouble point already giving me two problems.

what would you do here? There’s a “
    Aliminium Race twin fan rad set up” (quoting the listing) which is 3” so I’m not sure if it’s good enough to handle the power/heat of the BAM + K04.

Migrate the intercooler? A better option? Front mount would be preferred to get the cooler intake temperatures. If anyone has done anything similar or can comment then I’m ears open cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2023
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

once you get to 10 posts or so you'll be able to upload images direct to the forum :thumbup:

Todd Motto likes this.
  3. daNpy Forum Member

I had a small intercooler next to the (original) radiator when I drove with a compressor on my KR. It was positioned on the radiator beam.
    I have pictures, but I'll have to look for them at my PC at home. Mind you it was all custom made at that time.

Can't you fiddle it a bit backwards so everything else will fit more properly?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
    Todd Motto likes this.
  4. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

On mine I used bolts through the slam panel and spacer sleeves to move intercooler downward enough to clear bonnet catch. I also made a small bracket to move the bottom left (viewed from front of car) inwards slightly to give more clearance to radiator.
    20210618_180444.jpg 20210531_181016.jpg

Attached Files:

daNpy likes this.
  5. Todd Motto Forum Member

@dodgy that looks epic! Liking that. So your bracket tilts it ever so slightly to allow the grille to fit on? Do you find the intercooler does the job well given the engine power etc? Cheers

P.S. what’s that Rubadub thing?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
  6. Todd Motto Forum Member

I will surely soon expedite my account with more silly questions :-)

oldnick and rubjonny like this.
  7. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Bottom of rad moved inwards to help clear bottom of the intercooler, simple bracket with a hole in it.
    Yes intercooler has same, or slightly more volume than a bam tt set up, with better pipework, I did have a larger one originally to fit, but wanted small bumpers on it, well to start with, so this one worked out very well and subtle behind the grille
    The rubadub brace is from fabless manufacturing in Canada, they do braces for when remove original support, and this was a limited edition one with rubadub media logo, check out the Web page for some nice vw vehicles
    https://rubadubmedia.com/blogs/rubadub-rides