daNpy - Golf MKII Group H

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by daNpy, Apr 4, 2022.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

whats the part number on it? the 02a one is 10mm longer than the 020 one, and the automatic one is longer than the 02a one. not sure exactly how much by though. basically it all comes down to the size of the differential (or whatever the auto box equivalent is if it doesnt have one, shows what I know about auto :lol:) the 02a diff pushes the flanges 10mm further away than the 020 one and so rear bracket is 10mm longer to suit. auto assembly is larger again, so longer rear bracket to compensate

erreesse likes this.
  2. daNpy Forum Member

Picked up the milled flywheel yesterday. Only 4,5 kg now [:D]

IMG20230121105703.jpg

I've seen the supports for 2.0 engines, they are different indeed. If it is going to be problematic, I'll try the spacer option, otherwise the engine mount itself also needs to be replaced. And those are all hard shored already.

Now I am going to figure out in which order I am going to rebuild everything.

erreesse likes this.
  3. daNpy Forum Member

A while ago I read on this forum that an oil pan gasket with baffle plate (like this) does not work with a steel oil pan and you have to apply additional sealer.
    On my Golf I noticed some leakage after driving on the gearbox side. I didn't find any oil around the crankseal, so I reccon it will be the gasket for the pan.

Can I use Wynn's black gasket maker for this job?

4. rubjonny

Elsa says 'Before fitting gasket coat sump flange/cylinder block flange with D2' though I never bothered on mine and seemed ok. whatever gasket sealant you have should work ok so long as its oil safe and high temp

5. daNpy Forum Member

Hmm, both sides? They were talking about just the pan, not the engine side as the steel pans are 'ribbled'.

Anyway, order new parts this week and they arrived yesterday. The pressure bearing for the clutch, directly mounted yesterday evening (2 mins).
    The wheelbearings, mounted this week. Took some extra care in pressing them in gently, all worked out and no play this time :)
    And a temperature switch with M14 x 1,5 thread, also switches at 95-90. I will connect coolant hoses from rad to engine with an adapter which containes a threaded hole of ... M14x1,5. That's also sorted.

Today I worked on the ducting for the rad and oil cooler. When there is no engine in, you can work from the inside-out which is way better than having to take the bumper on and off hundreds of times to modify the parts behind it.

IMG20230128145645.jpg

I also made a modification to allow the radiator to stand up more straight, currently the pin of the aerocatch is in the way. The holder will be replaced for one that is mounted higher so the rad should be able to come underneath. I do hope this means I don't have to modify the lower supports to allow that angle.

erreesse likes this.
  6. daNpy Forum Member

I am starting to assemble the engine and car back together. Fitted the flywheel and clutch, then the gearbox on.
    When trying to mount the assembly to the subframe I ran into some small issues; the custom heat shield for the steering rack is interfering with the exhaust so much it had to be removed (previously it was tight, but fitting).
    Also the gearbox ran into the lower strutbar I have mounted and damaged it :(

IMG20230212154057.jpg

I increased the height of the gearbox support using shims for now, I will have an alu plate milled at work to solve it. As I already notived the engine also was inclined in the car with the 2Y gearbox. (1 to 2 cm lower at the gearbox side). Is the gearbox support for 2 liters different than for 1.8 16vs?

IMG20230212154119.jpg

7. rubjonny

the gearbox support is the same for all 084/5 and 020, but the 02a box has a different mount. I didn't think the height of it was changed but it is possible...

daNpy likes this.
  8. daNpy Forum Member

I'll see if the guys at work kan make a 15 mm adapter plate to put in between. We already made the cardboard example [:D]

9. daNpy Forum Member

Apperantly it is normal for the 2 liters to be inclined in the car (gearbox lower) as I already noticed last year with the 2Y. I never did with the KR though, that was straight as far as I remember.

This 02A gearbox is coded CDA and appears to have a larger (and stronger) diff housing. (It is frikkin heavy too). For the Golf G60 (with 02A gearbox), the lower strutbar is a bit different also: https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/725552_x800.webp

10. rubjonny

yes the ABF box has extra casting on the bottom to bolt up to the lower ABF alloy girdle thingy thats bolted to the bottom of the block, as you say its based from the same casting as the 02C syncro box used in the Golf Rallye and G60 syncro.

I'm not 100% sure but my theory is this was for homologation purposes for the VW Motorsport ABF cars... Or maybe VW just decided with all those ABF torques the box needed to be stronger to make sure all the gears stay where they belong :lol:

daNpy likes this.
  11. daNpy Forum Member

Too bad it has pressed into my lower strutbar then, it is coated and that is not easy to remove or repair. As said I will try to make something to move the gearbox support upwards a bit.
    Hopefully before the weekend, as I want to fit the engine in on Saturday.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
  12. daNpy Forum Member

Allright, fitted the engine in this morning.
    As John more or less already predicted it didn't fit quite well.
    Initially, the front beam was way off. The rear gearbox support is longer, rotating the engine in the bay, causing the front to misalign.

IMG20230218100904.jpg

We then extended the rear engine support by 10 mm, the farmers way:

IMG20230218103111.jpg

In the end the front was still off. With the front mount bolt removed, we could puch the front beam into place. Still, modifications need to be made.
    I can either adapt the front engine support, pros: Cheap, easy to do; cons: engine is still slightly misalaligned in the bay
    Or upgrade to the Golf 3 rear engine mount, pros: better fitment (hopefully!), cons: need to buy the support arm and a decent motorsport engine mount, which will be expensive. Risk is the front is still a bit off as I understood, but in X not Y.

IMG20230218105412s.jpg

Any thoughts?

Edit: Does a Golf 3 rear engine mount even fit? Or do I then also need the Golf 3 subframe?
    The Vibratechnics rear RH support is quite different.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
  13. daNpy Forum Member

So, question. What can be removed and what can be welded additionally to improve stiffness? [:D]

IMG20230218144807.jpg

14. daNpy Forum Member

Other subframe and motor support are in, problem is exactly the same. Looks like I need a new front beam, with the engine support on the right place (and then start the modification all over again....)
    I didn't extend the rear arm by 10 mm yet, I guess that would also help. But in the end, it doesn't seem worth it to mount the 6K1 subframe for now.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
  15. daNpy Forum Member

Live blog part #4!

I extended the rear support arm (1H0199354K) with 10 mm. Suddenly the front beam lined up and was mountable. For the ultimate test I unscrewed the top screw of the front engine mount and fiddled with the engine so it could set itself. The screw doesn't go back, but it ain't a big difference, definately less as in the picture above.
    Now I am curious which mount will be 10 mm longer.

16. daNpy Forum Member

What if I modify the rear gearbox support?

The cast alu bracket seems to hold the weight, the thin steel bar not. That one will just prohibit rotations around the Z-axle.
    If I copy the cast alu bracket but the place the mounting hole 15 mm forwards, the engine will rotate backwards. So no extended motor bracket necessary, which increases the forces on that bracket. Also no disadvantage of the motor moving 15 mm forward from the front axle.

The bracket will be made from steel and therefore heavier, but I think that is less as problem as moving the engine forward.
    What other problems might occur then?
    The drive shafts will be in a different angle, but hopefully not touch anything or have rotational issues?

17. daNpy Forum Member

This morning I was completely lost. I measured the distances from the upper-rear gearbox to engine bolt to the mounting hole on the brackets on both the 2Y and 02A gearbox. The distances were the same, also in both methods. See attached picture.
    This meant neither the rear motor bracket or the gearbox bracket was the same, so what the h#ll was the problem then?

The only place that remained, was the front. I dismounted the engine for the 4th time this weekend and removed the front cross member. I compared it to my original one, and it's the same. Then I removed the starter and removed the bracket itself. I compared it, as good as possible, to the original bracket... a difference, being small, was very well visible!
    Another thing is that the hole in the 02A box is more or less round, where the others are slotted...
    This could be the problem then, as I've changed the engine with both the original KR and 9A with 2Y box several times, and seriously never ran into this problem.
    To add a few mm to the problem, it is possible that the engine mount itself, which is located in a slotted hole, was not positioned as far to the middle as possible.

I fitted the modified bracket I made (2Y to 02A) and maybe will put the engine back tonight quickly, so I can see if this really is solved. That would also mean I never noticed that the engine is not straight in the car all the time......................

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
  18. daNpy Forum Member

Well, that also wasn't it. Before mounting I noticed the modified front bracket wasn't the same angle, the cross member was tilted backwards and that was never going to fit.

So I mounted my 2Y bracket. And then I got completely lost, as I was back at square one.
    Same rear RHS engine mount. Same front gearbox mount. Rear LHS gearbox mount is measured to be identical to the 2Y. And still the front cross member is of by more than 2 cm sideways.

I am looking for reasons not to put back the 2Y gearbox...

19. rubjonny

go back again and measure the distance between the input shaft and driveshaft flange, the 02a flange is 10mm further away than the 020. this is for why the rear bracket is 10mm longer. 1H0199354K is a MK3 golf 020 rear bracket, so that is also 10mm shorter than it should be if you're using mk3 subframe + 02a gearbox

did you crack loose the 2 bolts holding the front mount to the crossmember, as there is a lot of wiggle room there?

I actually have mk2 subframe, passat rear bracket, corrado vr6 front engine carrier + front mount, abf front bracket. it all lines up perfectly :lol:

the problem with mk3 front bracket on a mk2 front cross member + mount is it will lift the engine up, since you have a sold front mount thing you could simply modify that if you wanted to go that route.

someone already made these for mk2 vr6 owners who have no choice but to use vr6 front bracket, which is handy since the corrado vr6 type front carrier is getting harder to find. It also works fine for 4 cylinder conversions. heres a piccy showing mk2 vs mk2vr6 conversion mount:
    g2vr6solidmount.jpg

20. daNpy Forum Member

How do you mean exactly? It would imply the gearbox has to be removed, right?

Yes I did, the front mount is as much to the middle as possible.

But someone on another forum noticed on this picture below that the rear engine mount possibly can be mounted the other way around? The bolt holding the black pieces together is now behind the center of the support... when rotation is possible this will come forward quite a lot!

View attachment 31081

Last edited: Feb 20, 2023