Can MK3 drum proportioning valve work with discs ???

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by esso_sa, Apr 16, 2010.

1. esso_sa Forum Member

I'm running complete braking system(master cylinder, front and rear discs and calipers)
    from Golf MK3 16V. I don't have a brake proportioning valve so I want to fit one.
    In ETKA there are 2 types of valves that came on MK3's

1HO 612 151 - for models with rear drum brakes
    1HO 612 151 C - for models with rear disc brakes

I have the first one (1HO 612 151 - for models with rear drum brakes) and I would like to fit it to run with rear disc brakes.
    Can this valve work properly with discs instead of drums at the rear ? What is the difference between these two versions ??? They look the same :)

Also, the Mk1 one came with the inline pressure relief valves installed on the rear brake lines, just after the brake cylinder. What's the real purpose of these ? Should I remove them completely when I fit the rear brake proportioning valve or should I run them all together ???

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  2. esso_sa Forum Member

Anyone ??? [8(]

3. Todd Motto Forum Member

What was the outcome? Greetings 13 years from the future.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I'm sure the drum one would work, but unless its brand new just buy a new disc one while the hydro system is apart. the inline mk1 valves want binning when you fit discs. they are residual pressure valves which help with brake feel or bite at the back I think

5. Todd Motto Forum Member

6. rubjonny

seems fine to me, what car is all of this going into?

7. Todd Motto Forum Member

MK2 Golf which has a MK3 rear axle - I don’t wanna mess around with axle regulators, springs and making all the lines for it when a simply plug in system like these valves is a very quick job for perhaps a better result. Especially as I have no rear seats :-)

8. rubjonny

VW actually have data for the stock pressure regulator in ElsaWIN, you can use this vs the data from the thread above to choose your valve :)
    pressures.jpg

9. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I've just ordered a pair of adjustable Willwood Bias Valves for my MK2, one for each rear caliper so I can keep the diagonal split.

10. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Mk1 focus has reduction valves on master cylinder on certain models, when I bought my stubby cylinder it came with a pair on it, might be easier to source. Think it's the non abs version.

Todd Motto likes this.
  11. Todd Motto Forum Member

I thought about getting adjustable valves but you can’t pass a legit MOT unless you weld them shut after tweaking (depends where you are in the world I guess, and who’s doing your MOT of course…). I ended up buying the Pug 205 valves they look super and should work perfectly. Thankfully I gotta make the lines up the middle of the car so I’ll fit a 12mm hose join in and 10mm out. Easy and from what I gather identical to the non-ABS inline valves that are no longer available to buy anywhere. i also found another forum of a guy doing exactly what I’ve done. So I pulled the trigger. i also didn’t want to mess about manually with brake bias valves and getting them set identical (if you buy one for each like as above).

dodgy likes this.