Restoring a Corrado: Anybody know what these harness to body clips are called?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Jon Olds, Jan 28, 2023.

1. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Trying to do a reasonable job, not concours, but a tidy one.

Nearly all of these have been cut, so the harness inside the engine bay is drooping.

Anybody recognise a name or part number for these?

Presume they are the same as a mk2 corrado harness clip.jpg

TIA
    Jon

2. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

3. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Thanks, your googling was more lucrative than mine.

Don't suppose anybody else has put an ABF in theirs? Trying to work out the routing for the harness to the fusebox, next.

Took the engine back out yesterday (3rd time..) as the main bulkhead transition grommet hole is down the back of the servo, stupidly inaccessible.

Presume the mk2 is just as bad.

The project continues...

Regards
    Jon
    corrado bay.jpg

4. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Seen them on ebay for loads-a-money
    You can get an updated version which is like a string of hoops and I think the dealers sell them at reasonable cost.
    I'll try to dig out the part number.

5. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

So, the second string of this thread, if anybody's reading (LOL)

Decided there is no way I'm going to be able tp squeeze the harness down the minute gap to the inner wing leading through the bulkhead transition.

So, the servo is coming out.
    Got 90% there, all fasteners off, but can I get the servo out of the car??? (No, so I have packed up for the day)

Anybody got a magic fix for removing it???

R
    Jon

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

4 nuts then the clevis pin clip thats it, you have enough room just pulling it forward but its nice to remove all the way.

as for loom routing, split all the tape off the mk3 room and rejig, then it can be made to fit exactly the same as the original mk2 loom, with ecu on the driver side.you need to modify or make the ecu bracket to get the ecu to fit, but make sure you leave room for the bonnet hinge ;)

7. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Thanks J, appreciate you taking the time to reply. Only way the servo would come out is removing the clutch master cylinder too.
    Anyway, its out, I stripped back the insulation to make the harness more flexible, and its in. Motor back in too.
    Just about to print off the diagrams to go through one by one connectors tomorrow.
    Its funny how the engine bay gets cleaner and cleaner the more you you work in it, and that nice new
    pair of fleecy overalls is now so dirty its probably not worth washing them now...
    ATB
    Jon

8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Everybody loves a piccy, engine nearly secured using velcro, its been in and out so many times..
    Jon
    corrado abf back in again.jpg

KeithMac likes this.
  9. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Well done mate, the master cylinder is a pig, so well done. I cant help with the wiring as I have a VR but those re-usable tyrap fixings are generic on all VWs. I can look later in the week.
    Well done in keeping a Corrado Alive

10. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Nice idea on ABF in the Corrado. Are you using a mk3/Corrado vr subframe? Just thinking re bonnet clearence as I have an ABF under K jet in a mk2 and the bonnet doesn't clear with a mk2 subframe. You may well be ok just a thought.

Re the clips if you're on facebook I got about 10-15 of those cable clips from Chris Ferry. He's been a Corrado parts man for years but as I understand is slimming down his parts.

I'm afraid I can't help with wiring but follow with interest. If you need anything else on how things might need to look or anything like that give me a shout as happy to take pictures etc. I have a corrado vr, mk3 abf 16v and a mk2 16v

11. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Thanks guys, Chris F is local, and I have been shopping already. Reason I'm doing it is the shell and paint are really good for a 30
    year old car (its been parked up for 12 of those years)
    And...........it's a 'project'
    Jon

12. watercooled Forum Member

Nice to see another Corrado getting love Jon well done,yep its a PITA when folks cut those loom ties as they are reusable and easy to release,my abf conversion had the loom pulled as much as practical to replace the horrible loom tape they used back then like the mk3,stuff turns to dust and makes a shitload of mess when removing it ,happy I put the extra work in.
    The ABF is a great conversion IMO,good power and economy ,very nearly went to a VR so glad I didn't as fuel prices here are the highest they have ever been now.
    Keep up the good work,cheers.

13. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Thanks, its coming together. I'm fitting the fuel tank next, using an internal pump one to get rid of the lump of rustable hardware (external pump) that hangs
    down below the rear seats. Just at the trial fitting stage, and its obvious the original Corrado tank must be quite a lot larger , as the tank straps are way too long. After that, refit the exhaust, nice stainless system onto a 4 branch
    Jon

14. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Was the car a VR6 or a 4cyl prior to ABF conversion? The 4cyl come with a smaller 55l tank whereas the VR6s come with a larger 70l tank and fuelling set up on the VR6s similar to how the ABF is set up in the mk3. The main difference is that the Corrado's fuel pump is 4 bar whereas the ABFs is 3bar, the casing is the same. Either Corrado tank will work with any Corrado shell.

Does the ABF pump fit inside the Corrado tank then, assume you've got the smaller Corrado tank if straps are too large. It will go in 70l Corrado tank no problem. I ask because I had a 94 Corrado 16v for a while and did remove the fuel pump but don't quite recall if the locator tabs at the bottom of the tank were present for the abf/vr6 style pump and I know the mk3 abf tank doesn't fit quite right - the filler neck protrudes too far out of the filling hole so if I can save you any hassle...

15. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

I'm thinking it must be the 70L tank in there originally. So I have removed the smaller one and fitted the original tank back in. It was a K jet
    9a (2L16V) with the second pump hanging below. So, I have a spare mk4 tank out of my 1.8T race car (gone to a smaller ali one), so I have robbed
    the pump out of that and fitted it into the corrado.
    Spent an hour looking for the harness end (without success) as the connector is the rounded end one.
    For everybody else's benefit, there are at least three different tank elec connectors, all four pin. 1. Square: four small pins, 2. Square: two big, two small and 3. Rounded end: two big, two small
    Lastly, the big tank is a snug fit to the body without space for 8mm ID fuel pipe to go directly to the pump, so you have to use the original small bore plastic for the first 18" to get clearance. Mk4's have that QR connector too
    Jon

16. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Corrado coming along..
    Trackday piccy, friday, of my mk2 getting some exercise..
    mk2 trackday 11th feb 23.jpg

MJA and TonyB like this.
  17. Typ53 New Member

Nice work there. Just curious then, did the mk3 fuel pump slot straight into the 9A corrado fuel tank?

I have a KR Corrado and am mulling a change to EFI and the fuel tank/pump change is one of the issues that I'm trying to get my head around.

18. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Yes, neck size is the same, pump is shorter though.....
    Jon