Engine hoist, leveller bar and stand

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Matt Golf, Apr 23, 2024.

1. Matt Golf Forum Member

Morning everyone. Ready to take the engine out. Looking for recommendations on the above items. Most hoists don’t come with the bar that allows two chains and adjustable leveller so probably got to buy separately. What’s the weight that the crane needs to lift? Advice on what to buy and recommendations welcome. I’ll probably sell it all on after so will buy new as I don’t want to be under pressure hiring for a day or two and then having to rehire to put it back in. Thanks

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

a leveller is a nice addition but tbh you can get away without it, a seatbelt tied through the lifting eyes also works just fine :lol:

for the crane bog std 1 tonne will do the job, the entire car weighs about that so no worries about lifting an engine block

3. Matt Golf Forum Member

Thank you

4. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

If you settle on one of the generic 450Kg stands, they don't usually come with the bolts / nuts to attach the block.

You'll need four bolts / 3 nuts if hanging it at the gearbox end, plus 20 or so penny washers to act as packing spacers / protection for the sleeves.

I'll get you the sizes I used later, once I've checked.

5. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

@Matt Golf you can borrow ours if you like, we have all that stuff and won’t be needing it for a while.

6. Matt Golf Forum Member

Thanks Phil I’ll pm you. Do you accept Beer Tokens?

7. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Nope, teetotal :lol:

8. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds like you've got sorted, but for anyone else looking at getting one...

It's actually 4 bolts and 1x nut, the mounting hole nearest the diff. flange is the only one that's unthreaded / sleeved.

M12 x 110mm bolts with M12 washers that're 2.5mm thick / outer diameter 28mm worked with the stand I have, which as I say is the generic 450Kg one which appears in the vast majority of current adverts.

The seller I got the bolts from must've stopped trading, but the washers I got here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150939016233?var=450138201176

Must be the cost of living, a penny washer is now 10p.

9. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I bought some threaded bar and a bag of nuts, chopped the bar up to suite.