020 gearbox reverse clunk

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by RUF, Jun 6, 2019.

1. RUF

RUF New Member

Hi!

I have a g60 Corrado with 020. Because the tunnels are little bit different (Golf mk2 vs Corrado), gear linkage is little bit higher on the shifter stick side than engine side.

Did the linkage alignment with homemade tool. Engine off, straight gears go in really smoothly. Reverse not so much. When engine is on, straight gears are okai, not so smooth than engine off and reverse go in only with clunk which is pretty loud. Even the car will jump a little bit.

Switching to first, then second and after that to reverse don't change much. Also tried to tension clutch cable as much as I can didn't help.

What could be the issue? It can't be clutch cable and I don't believe it is linkage. Something inside gearbox? Oil level too low?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sounds like your clutch isnt quite disengaging properly, but maybe linkage isnt quite moving properly.

get a helper to press the clutch while you manually select reverse direct at the gearbox, see how it is. then get the helpwer to try selecting reverse as well, see if anything obvious.

mk3 golf 020 parts would fit better in a corrado, they have same tall tunnel so the parts that need to be are all taller to compensate, relay shaft + bracket etc

3. RUF

RUF New Member

I tried to change the gears straight under the hood. Still that ugly clunk with the reverse.

Engine off

Engine on

4. rubjonny

Yeah I'm thinking the clutch isnt quite releasing fully. 1-5 have syncros to help get into gear but the reverse does not so to get a crunch free shift the gears inside have to be fully stopped.

how much free play do you have on the cable?

5. RUF

RUF New Member

I tensioned it in a way that it is just in the edge of the point, where it doesn't have any play. The pedal feel is really awful, when it have dead point on the top.

Also I tried to tension it as much as it is possible but still the clunk was there. (But pedal itself was stiff and stiff is cool [:D] )

Can something be wrong with the clutch lever?

6. rubjonny

you should have about 10mm of free play at the gearbox end, so I'm wondering if your release plate is bad or issue with pushrod too short or release lever inside.

with green cap off you can check the release lever, and once the release bearign is removed you can pull the rod out to measure it. Lots of info here:
    http://www.brokevw.com

7. RUF

RUF New Member

Hmm, it looks like little bit too complicated for me [8-}]

Driving like that could damage the box right?

8. rubjonny

its very easy, pop the green cap off, check the clutch release finger. pull the release bearing out, check that too. pull the push rod out, check that, make sure its the right length ;)

its not going to do the box any good no