02J Linkage Alignment Help.

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Matt-T, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Matt-T New Member

Hi All,

I have an AGU engine with a 'DBZ' gearbox, this is the very early cable type from a 98' A3, which i believe is an O2J?

I need to align the old cable linkage, this is proving to be a right pain in the rear!
    Having spoken to my local VW they state my cables do not have the adjustable ends like the ones below?

Does anyone have any info or tips they can share? I wouldn't mind upgrading the components if this is an option!

[​IMG]

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

it should have the o2j cables and ends ...all very simple with the correct parts

3. bonus85 Forum Member

That video is good, I used it this weekend. I found I had to make sure the L locking piece really was locking the lever into neutral position before clamping the ends.

The later (mk4) 02J shift cables, selector and tower are apparently more refined than the 02A. (You can tell an 02J tower as it has a large bent shift weight, 02A just has a plastic cap) There are shim kits and things to improve slop, checkout dieselgeeks other videos. Theres a bearing in there too that can be replaced. Often just a general re-grease and a tighten will help.

You can also put an 02J tower and shifters & cables onto and 02A gearbox, however getting hold of the parts second hand not easy unless you buy the whole gearbox.

I believe u can put a TT shift weight on the later shift tower for a slightly shorter shift part no 8N0711051A

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if its that early what you have is basically same as an 02a, so that video doesn't apply.

instead there are slotted holes on the tower which allow for adjustment. side to side you crack the nut loose on the big plastic bit on the side where the uppermost cable clips to, move it till you can select all gears. for forward and back you crack loose the bolt which holds the cable and move it forwards & back till the selector feels good
    02j-earlytower.jpg

5. pigbladder Forum Addict

[​IMG]

does it look like that...if so follow instructions for o2a

or fit the later o2j part as its miles better

6. Matt-T New Member

I would need to double check when i get home, but i am 99% sure it looks like this!
    It would probably explain why i couldn't locate the black lever you have to turn on the shift tower too!

Thank you to you & Everyone else for the replys!

7. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah the later ones are much better , i had that one on my g60 and it was never right despite repairs and mods , i fitted o2j and a audi short shift and some upgrades and its great now ...well worth doing if you want to keep the car

8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

good info here, thanks, wrestling with adjustment now..
    Jon