02S / 02J Hybrid 6 Speed Gearbox Help

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by richgit, Dec 22, 2011.

1. richgit Forum Junkie

Hi all

I'm just trying to consolidate some info here as I want to do a 6 speed conversion in my mk2 20vt. I currently have an 02A 5 speed (code AYK) and understand that to successfully put in a 6 speed 02S (want to use my driveshafts, mounting points, starter motor, clutch, flywheel etc) then I need the 02J bellhousing to make use of the mechanical speedo drive for the mk2 clocks.

My questions are:

Can I use my existing 02A bellhousing or does it need to be 02J (if there are differences, what are they?)

Can I put in a Quaife LSD (i have heard that the Peloquin 02J-B fits but can get hold of a Quaife for a bit less) - if so, which one?

Can I quite simply transfer over all the other mounts / components / clutch and flywheel? Do I only need the 02S gearbox and the 02J (or 02A) bellhousing and nothing else?

What shifter tower & cables do I use / would the mk5 golf or touran cables be the right length to use for the mk2 to mate up inside the car? If I can use the entire assembly that would be great as the mk5's have quite a nice 'positive' feel.

Has anyone who has done it taken pictures / build thread? If not, when I do this, I will as it would be really useful.

Here are the threads I've found thus far, just trying to piece together all the info I need.

http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=17196&hl=touran+pelloquin

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-184848.html

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=331846

2. danster Forum Addict

3. MK1G20VT Forum Member

Hi Rich

Got your email.

I havent yet fitted clutch and flywheel up but here is what I am using.

02S GQP box

Pelequin dif (bit of going back and forth with this one)

I am not using the speedo as I am running a stack system

The clutch I am going to use is a Helix twin paddle clutch ment for a VR6 so 02A box and the flywheel is for an 02A also. I have been told these will fit.

I have a MK5 GTI shifter but am finding the cables are a bit too long> I still need to mess about with this as I am running the shifter on a tower and the cable through the bulkhead not under the car.

Quaife do not supply a dif for the 02S and an 02A dif will not fit. I have an 02A with a quaife dif and tried to fit the dif and change all the casing over and it would not work. I have seen a thread where someone has tried this but can't think where I saw it.

If you do order a dif from Pelequin make sure you state what car the 02S is out of as they thought mine was out of a VW which it is not and there was a lot of ****ing about.

Hope this helps.

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The Reeves Mk1 runs an 02S with an 02J Quaife LSD. I believe the crownwheel was redrilled, but it was that or the diff.

5. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Crownwheels are as hard as nails. Had to get one spark eroded once to get the LSD mounting holes bigger

6. MK1G20VT Forum Member

I looked into this but for the cost of getting it done it wasnt worth it, about 200 quid I was quoted.

7. richgit Forum Junkie

Thanks for the info guys, what about the bellhousing from the 02A? Considering I already have one in the car it would be great if i could use that, but everywhere I look it always mentions use the 02J bellhousing with the 02S... just saves having to buy another gearbox to strip...

8. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

It's not the bell housing but the sectionthat bolts to it that has the speedo drive hole on it Rich. So you can use the 02S bell housing but then use an 02A/J middle section.

Regarding drilling the ring gear. What about drilling the new diff instead?

Gurds

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'd caution the middle section being the same.

02S:

[​IMG]

02J:

[​IMG]

10. JFKO New Member

Better late than never, you seem to know a bit about this conversion. And might actually still be active :p Can you explain to me why a peloquin lsd is needed vs using the original 02j one. I just spend all afternoon trying to figure out why but cant seem to find the answer

11. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

They didn't have an LSD as standard?

12. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Chap, Gurds, who commented is a trackday driver, so the ATB he suggested at the time was seen as a benefit to his driving experience. His trackday driving and his car has moved on by some, and now runs a plate diff for even greater control into and out of a corner.
    None of those parts are really required on a 100% road car.

I also run an 02S 6 speeder, on my N/A road going ABF MK2 Golf trackcar, which has a Wavetrac ATB. Again not essential to a road car, but I too have it for my trackday experience.

13. Adamss24 Forum Member

I would fit a 6 speed diesel gearbox, you get a stronger 240mm clutch and the box can cope with more torque than the petrol can muster even modified. Getting driveshafts modified and a gearbox mount is easy job, there are companies that sell it ready made and the box is plug and play ! I would then spend money on strengthening the gearbox- the 4th gear is the weak point but my 6 speed box seems to live after 700nm and over 360Bhp put trough it…inner cv joint cages fail with the excessive spirited drives !

14. Toyotec

Recent posteer is asking about limited slip diffs on a MQ250 gearbox. Not sure what a very tall geared and heavy MQ350 has to do with question.

15. Adamss24 Forum Member

I was just recommending a plug and play solution which can cope
    With everything his engine can throw at it ! No messing about with swapping bellhousing or any machining work, if you choose carefully some careful mix and match of driveshafts from Fabia vrs will make it a very easy install ! Stock luk 240mm clutch will also take the torque of his engine and can be used as a daily ! With so much support aftermarket it’s just daft to pursue anything else. Epitec sells the gearbox support from stock…it makes sense in my opinion!

16. Toyotec

As said this is a MQ250 post about the effect of an ATB, which some of us members, myself included run on our track cars.

The poster did not indicate what chassis or engine type the 02J is fitted to, so we cannot assume it is a MK4/PQ34 chassis and just "plug and play".

Adamss24 likes this.