1.6 pistons and con rods swap

Discussion in '8-valve' started by bobonthejob, Apr 8, 2020.

1. bobonthejob New Member

Hey guys

I have been looking for ideas to increase power in my 1.6 mk2 for some time and have been thinking about plans for swapping pistons and con rods. The plan is to take pistons and con rods from an AKL engine and put them in my 1.6 to increase compression and power. AKL engine con rods should be 150mm, which i have read in another thread. The AKL pistons should have smaller compression height to compensate for the longer rod. I hope the pistons will fit in terms of valves, but im not sure, since the AKL is a crossflow.

I know many would suggest a 2l conversion and I did consider that for some time, but due to insurance and inspection rules, I dropped that idea and I also like my 1.6 engine.

If anyone have some feedback on the plan, i would like to know.

erreesse likes this.
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you can change crank and pistons from a 1.8 carb/gti engine and convert the block to a 1.8l, but may as well just fit a 1.8 bottom end if you do that.

the usual route is GTI 8v cam and exhaust system front to back including manifold and downpipe, kjet 8v distributor. this will get you a nice upgrade with very little cost. the gti 8v head is also a bit better but with a little more effort involved, you can even run a digifant head with a 2e2 carb if you drill the requirted hole for the coolant channel. the 1.8 bottom end would be the last piece of the puzzle to get you full GTI power, but with all of that a full engine swap would probably be cheaper and easier.

If you really want to go mental and build yourself a franken-1.6, heres a great thread to read through:
    https://www.clubgti.com/forums/inde...6v-and-various-combos-discussion-help.278963/

erreesse likes this.
  3. bobonthejob New Member

Thanks for the suggestions, the 1.6 16v looks like an awesome build and will definitely consider that in the future.