1.8 EV engine rebuild advice.

Discussion in '8-valve' started by mk2 nas, Aug 16, 2017.

1. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,I'm planning on rebuilding the above engine over the winter to hopefully install next year.
    I'm in no rush as the 1600 eg that's in now seems ok other than a couple of annoying oil leaks(minor).
    I've never rebuilt an engine and am definitely gonna need some guidance!
    Im planning on new rings,shells,valve guides,stem seals,crank seals all gaskets etc.
    The head is already off and bores look to be in good order but shiny a bit glazed.
    Before I start my first question is I take it I need to measure bore for right ring fitment.
    I hope all parts are easily obtainable.
    Thanks.

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Not sure I can advise, but I do have an unwanted, scrap engine block (no head) off a digifant (I think) if you wanted something to practice on?
    Free if collected from near Abingdon, Oxfordshire.

mk2 nas likes this.
  3. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for the offer but I don't want another block.space is getting tightlol

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Measure the bores in 6 places yes.
    I might have a thread here somewhere that shows where the measurements need to be.

mk2 nas likes this.
  5. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Well I've took the plunge and took out Pistons carefully making sure all parts
    Caps are labelled to the corresponding bores.the Pistons look in very good condition.
    Bores are smooth odd light scratch present on one or two but hardly there tbh.
    Big end shells are very lightly scratched up with one exception on cylinder 4
    Where the silver has worn to copper colour in the centre of shell approx 3mm.
    These will be replaced for new.crank big end journals are a lot better than I was
    Expecting and I'm hoping to change shells only without work on the crank is
    This doable.this is all a bit new to me so all advice is good advice I think.thanks.

6. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Once the crank is out take the parts to your local machine shop or your bearing supplier and get them to measure the crank to check the size and you are within tolerances
    Regarding the bores you say they are smooth? But do they have any hone marks? Might be best to take this to the machine shop also and possible get it honed, then fit a set of new piston rings

7. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Ok will look into that,bores are just shiny smooth with normal age related wear.if your referring to what I think
    People call "hatch marks"they are not visible.also a very tiny lip at top of bores I can barely feel it with my nail.
    I have no idea of cost,how much to hone block and do the crank do you think.:o

Piston rings and shells don't seem to be much money unless I'm looking at sub standard stuff.
    50 for a ring set & 30 big end shells 60 for a big gasket set including head bolts.
    :thumbup:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  8. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Sounds like it needs an hone

My local machine shop charged me 40 for a hone last time

Crank maybe ok but guide price 8 per journal to regrind and polish

9. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

I will post some journal pics for advice on the regrind and polish.as like you say may be OK as is. look good to me.

10. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Measured big end journals standard book size says 47.80. Mine are coming up at 47.78 on all
    Four.so with .02 of wear am I right to just replace with new standard shells.journals are barely
    Marked.:thumbup:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  11. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

.02 big end journal wear within spec for new standard shells anyone???