1.8 gti coil packs?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by joe98, Dec 4, 2018.

1. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

I'm trying to figure out if my mk2 is single or twin coils and I'm not technically minded so I'll lay the specs and if you can help then great

so its a 1985 8v shell with a 16v dropped in and k-jet injection

I basically want to fit an omex rev limiter and I'm not sure if the single coil or twin coil unit is needed

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

its a single coil system, what spark control are you going with on this?

3. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

What do you suggest

I’ve been recommended by a friend to fit this. What sort of stuff do I need to make it work and how much trouble is it getting it fitted on a car with mechanical injection and no real ecu

4. rubjonny

reason I ask is the 16v distributor has no weights/vacuum advance built in, so you would usually use the 16v ecu to handle the ignition advance for you. If you have one of those then its all good as it has a rev limiter built in

you could swap to a different dizzy from say pug 1.9 gti or saab or an aftermarket ecu such as megajolt or whatever which also often have a rev limiter built in but the 16v ecu is good enough for most usage :)

5. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

So if it’s got the 16v ecu then it’s all good to just install the omex limiter?

Otherwise I’ll need to swap it out? Is there any way of easily knowing which ecu I have?

6. rubjonny

I'm assuming you're running all the standard 16v management right? if so you should have the 16v ecu as well, it would be in the scuttle area on the driver side.

if you do have the 16v ecu, then you dont need an external rev limiter as the ecu already has one built in :)

7. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah but if I want to hang out at my local supermarket then I’ll need a rev limiter to make my car bang more and I’ve been told to put an omex Rev limiter on it

Is it as easy as just wiring up like you would on a fiesta?