1.8 weber 32/34 issues

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Megaross, Apr 9, 2022.

1. Megaross Forum Member

Hi all,

So I've had my 1.8 gl auto for a couple years now and there's always been a few niggles.

1. It stalls very easy when cold
    2. It diesels, if you stop it in gear (lower idle speed) it reduces it but doesn't always cure it
    3. Fuel consumption is woeful, like, less than the bad number you'd expect

Runs great when warm.

Pulling the plugs reveals it's running a tad lean. I've never found any vaccum leaks on the engine

Idle mixture screw is about 3.5-4 turns out which is just a suspect amount but gives the smoothest running and strongest engine vaccum

I've fitted an anti dieseling solenoid to the carb but it still does it.

In terms of solving this issue I'm looking for ideas, plan to recheck the timing and hunt hard for any small vaccum leaks before rechecking the carb tune - anything else I should be checking?

2. Megaross Forum Member

So I checked timing which was out and retuned the carb. Then trickled a pint of water down the yap to decoke the bores

It solved some, but not all of the issues. Now got a weird noise at part throttle with the engine under load, a gurgling sort of noise and it doesn't feel all too powerful.

Still runs questionable when cold too, better, but questionable. Wants plenty of choke til its warmed up.

Open to suggestions

3. Megaross Forum Member

New symptom, it now lugs on the first start.

Starts great when hot but cold it takes a couple of turns of the key, starter barely moves, then goes, almost like it's hitting top of the compression stroke and the starter is struggling.

But it's got me wondering if it could be kickback from initial timing advance. I've verified it twice now, it was wrong initially then runs way better where it's set to and tuning by ear as well as light it is where it wants to be.

Edd likes this.
  4. EDD

Edd New Member

Hi, I'm experiencing every one of the same symptoms along with flooding on decel after wide open throttle, don't suppose you found any answers ?