1.8t conversion wiring question

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Daniel Clarkson, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Daniel Clarkson New Member

I feel kind of silly asking this, but I need a quick answer. Just finished wiring in a DBW AWP out of an 03 jetta into my CE1 mk2 gli. I went to hook up the battery to test power, and my positive cable wants to weld itself to the post. I went back, and retraced everything, and realized somehow that I forgot to run my direct power from the fuse box to the battery. Can anyone confirm that this may be what caused the issued? Also used rubjonny's link for the wiring. Labeled and double checked everything twice, and I'm 99% sure the rest of the wiring is correct. Stupid mistake I know. Anyone have any insight here? At this point I'm a little afraid to try and hook the battery back up until I'm sure.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sounds more like a dead short somewhere, missing the fusebox live would just mean the car wont power up properly

you should have live from battery to starter, live from alternator either to starter or battery. battery negative goes to the stud on chassis leg behind the battery then over to a stud on the end of one of the upper gearbox bolts

3. Daniel Clarkson New Member

Battery cables are all hooked up correctly. What I'm wondering is if the live from spade P on the fuse box to the battery not being there would have caused some kind of dead short.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

disconnect the alternator cable and try again (briefly) if it starts getting hot starter motor is shot. if all seems ok check alternator cable for damage to the insulation, if it looks good touch it to battery. if it starts heating up then alternator is shot, if not all is well.

the starter and alternator need to earth thru their casings to the bracket/engine/gearbox so if you cleaned and painted everything you need to bare metal all the mounting faces