1.9 16v G60 on MegaSquirt :: RR result 6/7/10 - Now a 24v VR6 25/10/21

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Trev16v, Oct 31, 2009.

1. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

So am i right in thinking your new servo will be plumbed to your brake resevoir on your pedal box? The new servo has a master cylinder attached to it already so how will you connect this to your pedal box?
    Sounds like a tight fit under the dash do you think?. WOuld be very interested to see how you get on with that.
    Do you have a seperate resevoir for the hydraulic clutch then? i take it thats also on your pedal box?.
    Ditching the distributer sounds like a good idea too, i take it you now have a knock sensor and lambda probe that are both wired in and working properly now then?. Is emerald DIY friendly like MS is, can you plug a laptop into it and mess around if you wanted to?.

2. Ade.Mk1 Forum Member

Yea, it will be tight under the dash, not sure if there will be enough room yet unti I try it :-)

There are three master cylinders on the pedal box, one for the front brakes, one for the rear and one for the clutch. I have a separate reservoir for each, which are in the scuttle tray. The output of each brake master cylinder will be fed to one of the master cylinders on the servo, it is the pressure that these second cylinders sees that will get amplified by the servo and apply pressure to the brakes.

Emerald does not use a knock sensor, yes I have a lambda probe fitted. I actually have the innovate LC-1 module that gives a wide and signal to the Emerald, this was a godsend when running in as I could put the Emerald in closed loop mode and it could learn its map.
    Yes the Emerald is plug and play - another reason I went for it. It has three switchable maps, I have a switch on my dash so that I can switch on the run, so the mapping created by my Emerald rolling road day is always available and I can play in the other two. I was delighted with the service from the guys at Emerald.

3. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

I see, sounds like a lot of piping required for your brakes then! Where did you mount the cylinder for your hydraulic gearbox? Ive been looking for a CTN code box but had no joy as of yet. What are you using and how do you find the ratios?

4. Ade.Mk1 Forum Member

The pedal box is designed to mount a third cylinder for the clutch, so no drilling of the bulkhead and dodgy mounting !!
    The gearbox is a Mk4 Golf GTI cable box 02j. Ratios are great, much better than the 16v box that I had before. I would like a 6th gear or longer fifth though for cruising on the motorway. 70mph is 3100rpm, would like to drop that to 2000rpm.

5. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Ive been reading through the emerald site and im very tempted to go down this route. Im sure id see the initial cost of buying it back with the improved economy and i could tweek things without the need for another chip and rolling road session.
    How much was your rolling road session at emerald if you dont mind me asking?.

6. Ade.Mk1 Forum Member

Having gone down the digifant route I can confirm that is not worth the hassle and cost and in hindsight I should of gone for an after market modern ECU to begin with - hey you live and learn !

You need to check with them on the current price - but it is a fixed cost for the days setup - I think with VAT I paid 350 - excellent value for money.
    The great thing about them is that it is a fixed cost and not by the hour, so you can budget accurately for it. You need to book weeks in advance though :-)

You can have a copy of my map as well if you want, it will need tweaking to suit your timing (my reference point on the tooth wheel was out, so rather than get the spanners out, it was just compensated for in the ignition map) and fueling depending on the injectors that you choose, iirc I have 40lb ones, which are a little on the large side (I could not get the next size down in the body size) but the Emerald has enough resolution to control them for correct fuel delivery.

7. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Great stuff, that would enable me to get to the rolling road at least without damaging the engine. I need to keep reading through the manual and get my head around how it all works. I like the idea of going distributorless, and going down the wasted spark route. Did you consider sequential injection or is it more hassle than its worth?.

8. Ade.Mk1 Forum Member

No worries.

I did not consider sequential injection - did some reading on it and it did not seem worth it, apparently it is only really effective on engines that rev over 10,000rpm - but I don't know that for sure.

9. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Trev are you still making progress with your 16vg60? I'd completely forgotten about this thread and have just read through it again. I must apologise for hijacking your thread, I didn't realise how bad it was until I've reread it. I hope I didn't stop you from posting.

10. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

You are absolutely welcome to hijack; it's all really good discussion! Good to see you post on here again.

The reason I've been quiet is because I'm doing a huge amount of work on the house at the moment. However, I am rebuilding the 16V G60 as a 9A with Wiseco pistons, IE rods, and a Man In The Shed head. There will be an update on it when I get round to sorting all the images.

How are you getting on? I recall you were building yours into a MK1.

11. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Sounds like a cracking motor, be really good to see you get it up and running, it should be bullet proof. Will you set it up yourself with megasquirt?
    I've gone down a similar route with JE pistons although I'm just using standard rods for now until I upgrade to a different supercharger with more power. Not sure if you have seen the latest bahn brenner chargers but they look well worth considering. I've opted for a DTA ecu, wasn't much in it between that and emerald. I would have gone down the megasquirt route but I just didn't have the time to get my head around it
    Although most of the mechanical stuff is ready the shell is still in the body shop after over 2 years and many thousands spent putting a previous poor restoration right. It's been a total nightmare to be honest.
    Be great to see your next update trev.

12. Ade.Mk1 Forum Member

I've been using mine a lot :-) two runs around Ireland of about 1500 miles each and last year a 1500 mile trip around Scotland :-)

I get 30mpg and a smile when required !!

Had the map checked at Emerald a few weeks ago - 240bhp and 200lbft - it's all about the torque :-)

I have a 6 speed conversion on the end of the 02j now that gives me about 2000rpm at 70mph - just right - she will pull from 1000rpm in any gear !!

At Emerald
    [​IMG]
    The plot
    [​IMG]

I still only see 11psi max even with a smaller pulley - the inter cooler is sized correctly and there are no boost leaks - I think it may be down to cam timing, perhaps some variable pulleys might help, but then that means taking her apart again and I am enjoying driving her too much now :-)

Hopefully will see both of yours on the road sometime !!

beetie likes this.
  13. Ade.Mk1 Forum Member

It might be as I was only there last month - which issue is it ?

14. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I wonder how many 16vG60 builds there are in the UK now?.

15. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Well holy tread bump.

When you thought this car was sitting engineless and scrapped, it has had a holy revival.

I saw the G880 TNJ sitting at Trevor back in 2014. I felt sorry for the thing and decided to bring it back to life.
    In 2018, I bought it from him, but never told my wife. There it stood unloved at the front of his garden for 2 years.

Then during COVID 19, I brought it home on a flat bed and over the months of shut down recommissioned it with a new powertrain.
    Megasquirt long gone, replaced by a ME7.1.1, controlling a BDE VR6 24v engine.

More about it in due course.

TNJ Empty Engine Bay.jpeg

Engine bay TNJ V6.jpeg G880TNJ 2.8 24v front.jpg G880TNJ 2.8 24v VR6.jpg TNJ facing JNV.jpeg
    G880TNJ MOT Dips 2.jpg

Yes it is very alive again, now with a big heart and big vocals.

G880TNJ 2.8 24v Home.jpg

G880TNJ Stewart Paint.jpg

Attached Files:

erreesse, Mk2daz, dodgy and 2 others like this.
  16. Mk2daz

Mk2daz Paid Member Paid Member

Looks great, can hear the VR6 note just from looking at the pics!

17. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Love it.