Dogwood's Polo

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by A.N. Other, Feb 21, 2008.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Just a couple of pics and a vid of a long-lost VW Polo. Nice little shopping car, turned brute [}:)]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last seen chasing the the Reeves' Mk1 very hard at Curborough Sprint Circuit in June 2003, followed by a complete floor-wipe at Kames circuit, two weeks later:

[YOUTUBE]7Cksl4C6txQ[/YOUTUBE]

:o

[​IMG]

Believed to have gone into garage hiding sometime winter 2003, for a ground up Berg-style makeover, both inside and out.

Sorely missed, though it'll be worth waiting for [:D]

Anyone with any picture updates, please let us know ;)

Edit: adding picture posted over on the Polo forum, credit to 'Project 2006'

[​IMG]

2. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Haven't seen it for years, but I keep hearing rumours about the silly spec.

for comparison, here's me in my mk2 VR taking the exact same corner, filmed from the exact same location (if not, by the same camera on the same day?). Look how much quicker he is! (although i don't end up in the gravel ;)

[YOUTUBE]dgFLa25VKog[/YOUTUBE]

3. POL

pol Forum Member

christ that was years ago. one of the turning points in my project for sure. a lightweight car with decent power go's a long way!!

4. vrbanana Forum Junkie

About time we saw it, I remember him saying it would be out soon, think that was back in 2005 [:s] [:s] children dont help though :lol:

5. mk3rob New Member

Remember its feature in the golf what an awesome little beast

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

March 2001

7. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

I'm in the crowd watching that [:D]

Nick's car really put a smile on my face that day, I was ready for ripping out the G40 and going looking for an AFH 16v :lol:

Hope it's back out soon, would love to see it at Kames again.

Photo of the business end taken at Kames, spec has changed a lot by the sounds of it.

[​IMG]

8. project 2006 New Member

Dogwoods polo video

That little video from Kames............ my son was in the passenger seat. I thought I was going to get wrong off the wife when we got home because I thought it was going to roll. and I would have some explaining to do if the kid got hurt............... but the outcome was far worse........ I have had to build him "a car like nicks" well I never could build one to that std but a 1.4 afh is the plan. I'm giving nothing away regarding nick's current build as it's up to him to communicate (or not) what he's doing but the build standard and specification are very high, as you would expect.
    I loved Phatties VR6 aswell ........... if I remember correctly he was flying that dat too, and scrubbed of some rubber !!! He told me that he would never have another show car !!

progress is slow on the boys car
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wilson .......... you are an inspiration to many, return soon.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  9. project 2006 New Member

Thats just wrong ............. using the child as an excuse:thumbd:

10. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

They do if they're trained properly.

"I need a 13mm Spanner. Thank you"

:lol:

11. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

Loving that polo, sounds the poodles plums too.

PhatVR6, your sig just had me in stitches mate lol

12. Dogwood Forum Member

Cheers for putting this up Chris. It's something I put on the must do list every time I have a look on here, but it never gets done.

I'll sort some pics out this weekend just to prove I have been doing some graft.

When I took the car off the road, the idea was to sort out some of the cars' weak points, transmission especially. I gave myself a budget to do everything, but it all went ti*s up when I stumbled across the sequential box, which itself cost more than the total budget!

So, the sequential box needed equal length shafts, which needed VWMS uprights, which meant changing the wishbones, which meant wide front track, which meant wide front wings. The box is hydraulic clutch, which meant new pedal box; might as well go LHD for better weight distribution just to add to the foolishness, and stick the seat as far back in the car as I can get it, meaning a new steering column. The normal sump shape in relation to the box meant no clear run for the exhaust, so dry sump the motor. The original ex. manifold is now no good, so get a thin wall stainless one made. New system as well - in titanium cos' i've totally lost the plot by now. Build a tunnel for it to run over the back axle so I can flat floor it and fit a rear diffuser (on a f**kin Polo!)

Apart from the transmission, the other weak point was the front end of the shell, which pretty much had a mind of it's own. So, weld in cage to do. Problem was the job was entrusted to some total clowns who did half the job, not very well, taking far too long. So job then moved to AAS in Newcastle who I whole heartedly recommend. They are also responsible for the exhaust and most of the sundry fab work on the car.

To go with my super stiff shell I need some super sticky slicks, which need some new wheels, eight of couse as i'll need a set of wets as well. New suspension to make the most of the potential grip. Thing is all of the beefed up running gear has added weight, cue weight reduction paranoia. T45 on the subframe, alloy front cross member to carry the radiator which is still far too big. Carbon doors, bonnet and tailgate etc, etc.

Anyway, as it stands i'm currently dummy building the car before stripping it again and getting the shell painted.

Cheers for all the comments lads, much appreciated. Pics to follow.

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

[:D] You gotta love it. This is going to re-set the standard.

If you need a hand with hosting pics for now Nick, send them over :thumbup:

14. mk1g60turbo Forum Member

Sounds like its going to be pretty special. Can not wait to see some pics of this fella! Are you still running the G40 motor then?

15. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

I can't wait to see this.....just awesome

16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Seeing as it's all changed, I'm going to tuck an 'old' pic in, before we really get started...

Free pint for anyone who can find the wishbones, the upright, the front crossmember, brakes etc on ETKA :lol:

[​IMG]

17. benny Forum Member

Excellent! Can't wait for more pics!

:clap:

18. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

top job bud, looking forward to seeing it. care on chopping the floor about though - not allowed in mod prod

19. 16valver Forum Member

Can't wait to see more pics, this will be a bit special I think.

Remember seeing a pic of the seqential box a while ago too...

20. gillm

gillm ***** User

this sounds crazy . would love to see more pics and in the flesh sometime . those two vids are pure nuts that lookes super fast into that bend . hats off to you both