16v abf cambelt alignment problems

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Whiffers, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Whiffers New Member

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I've currently got 3 mk3's. A 1.8 se, a 2.0 gti (with only 66000 miles on!) and a 16v gti.
    I've been restoring my 16v valve for well over a year and I've practically finished it. So it was cambelt time. I took the covers off and found belt debris all over and the old belt was worn down to about half the thickness of a new belt. Its obviously been rubbing somewhere but it ran and drove fine.
    So put the new cambelt and tensioner on, start it up and the cambelt creeps to the outside of the camshaft pulley.
    Everything looks straight and true to the eye. The tensioner sits square to the block as does its mounting stud.
    Has anybody ever come across this before and had any luck sorting it?
    I'm getting desperate now as everyone I ask has no idea.

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Any chance the head was skimmed?

3. Whiffers New Member

I've got all the service history for it and it doesn't show anything. Only thing I found was a crank seal has been replaced.

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

creeps to the edge or goes beyond it ?

i dont know why but you do see some that creep as far as the edge

5. Tristan

We had similar on a rallycar and had to make a nylon buffer for it. Then when the pro engine builder stripped it, he reckoned it was all out of line and pulleys worn.
    Did you change your Crank toothed pulley? Also did you check the tensioner with an accurate square?

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the tensioner determines where the belt sits on the sprockets, often the belt sits pretty close to the outside its no problem. if it was actually overhanging to the outside id be worried but up to flush is ok.

7. Whiffers New Member

It does seem to creep over very slightly. The old belt was worn to nearly about half its size.
    The pulleys seem ok. The tensioner and the stud are sitting square to the block.
    I havent changed the pulleys yet but I will get some brand new ones to try to rule that out.
    I'll try to post a picture of the old belt.

8. Whiffers New Member

I cant seem to post a picture from my phone for some reason. I'll have to try when I get to a computer.

9. Whiffers New Member

I've been tinkering a bit checking with a straight edge again that all the pulleys are in line, and they are and I've noticed some back and forth play in the intermediate/auxiliary shaft.
    It's not a lot, maybe a mil or 2 but could that be a reason or enough play to push the cambelt over??

Also I am trying to upload photos but it appears I've got old and cant do it so a young lad iat work s going to do it for me soon

10. Tristan

It certainly wouldn't help.