16v ABF cheap tuning and...some tips

Discussion in '16-valve' started by JustinMK3GTI, Feb 26, 2020.

1. JustinMK3GTI New Member

Hello everyone,

i’m here to do some question about this engine and for some advice and tips about the best mods...for cheap.

I’ve already done the filter swap between original and BMC performance filter.

Now I’m thinking,if i put low and high pressure vr6 fuel pump and 4 vr6 injector that technically is bigger than stock ABF injector,i will have more fuel in the combustion chamber so more power right?

I know that after i’ll need to remap/rechip the ECU.[:s]

so after my long reflection is your time,give me any tips,advice on cheap or expensive mods that i can do with this wonderful engine:lol:

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

No advantage in switching the fuel pump, and if you are getting the ECU remapped, there's not much need for bigger injectors either as the stock ones can flow more fuel anyway. Hopefully the resident ABF Guru, Toyotec will see this and chip in.
    Eddie got almost 200bhp on his ABF mk2 without huge mods.

JustinMK3GTI likes this.
  3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

ABF engines do not need overthinking or generic internet opinion to make them faster than stock.
    And by faster I do not mean more power alone.

A well serviced engine and car, with an ECU tune by someone who truly understands the engine operating envelope is what it takes to wake them up.

All what you mentioned is unnecessary.

JustinMK3GTI likes this.
  4. JustinMK3GTI New Member

Thanks both for advice...so basically a well and regular serviced engine like regular oil change,regular filter cleaning ecc... is everything i need to make my 150 ponyes run free and fast right?:lol:

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Have a search around on here for Toyotec, 16v dyno days, Garage Streamline, dyno clinic, 8v vs 16v and you will understand much more to answer that question for yourself.

JustinMK3GTI likes this.
  6. JustinMK3GTI New Member

i have two last question like can i set launch control and bang on this engine?because i've seen that some other NA car have bang
    Second question: i've recently changed all brake rotors and pads,the job was maked by my friendly mechanic but,the front brakes squeaking also if i take it apart,clean the disc and use the sandpaper on pads to clean a little bit.So there is a method to avoid this annoying noise?I also put a little bit of grease where the brake pads rest on the brake caliper and in the bolts that hold the brake caliper in place.
    I hope I've explained myself

7. Tristan

Launch control? No. Not with that ecu.
    Popping and banging is usually from overfuelling and possibly retarded timing, neither which are desirable.

JustinMK3GTI likes this.
  8. JustinMK3GTI New Member

So to do a really well done job maybe can i use a MegaSquirt ECU?for launch controll i mean and maybe also for pops

9. Tristan

I'm afraid I can't help you there.
    If you desire that sort of dramatic event I think you'd be better off trying to get a mk4 1.8t.

JustinMK3GTI likes this.
  10. JustinMK3GTI New Member

okay no problem and for brakes squeaking problem?any advice?

11. Tristan

Different pads?

12. JustinMK3GTI New Member

i have ABE brand pads on the front with TRW rotors and STARK pads with also TRW rotors to the rear...it's really strange that STARK pads that seems more cheap doesn't squeaking and ABE pads that seems more "premium" does...i'll try to change front pads with my old but still very good pads and i'll see...thanks a lot for any advice.

13. Tristan

Never heard of ABE pads tbh. Genuine VW ones aren't expensive, or TexTar, Ferodo, Pagid etc. The fronts do most of the work so more likely to squeal.

JustinMK3GTI likes this.
  14. JustinMK3GTI New Member

Abe as i know it's a sub brand of Ate that is i think first equipment in my golf that's why I trusted...nevermind I just spent my money badly[:D]thanks very much for advice:thumbup:

Tristan likes this.
  15. Gman2oo6 New Member

for brakes go for these Zimmermann Brake disk

[​IMG]

JustinMK3GTI likes this.
  16. JustinMK3GTI New Member

[eek]so beautiful...the caliper was painted by your self?anyway yesterday i put again old Valeo Pads and surprise...the breakes doesn't squeaking anymore:cry:Abe brands suck:thumbd:

17. Gman2oo6 New Member

Yes your right painted by myself . did have Abe brand before and indeed it has to much iron parts in it

JustinMK3GTI likes this.
  18. JustinMK3GTI New Member

so maybe is this the reasons that my pads squeaking too much right?

19. JustinMK3GTI New Member

Good evening everyone,i resume this old thread because,after some time spent on taking care of my little baby,i've noticed that the stock cat is done so,i've decided to change the stock cat and exhaust manifold with some after market exhaust parts and,i've founded very nice parts on Ecs tuning site and Ebay to fit in.Anyway,sneaking around the forum,i've readed 2 discussion on 16 valve category,one from Toyotech,i guess, and one from another member that now,i don't remember,when they said that,a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold or a 8v exhaust manifold increase the power a little bit.So now my question is,is better to fit 8v manifold or the after market,in my case,4-1 stainless steel exhaust manifold?And is worth change the stock cat with a 200 cell or,better buy a new stock cat?I don't want to waste money but,i really need to make my car a little bit louder because at low rpm,sound a little bit quiet[><]and if i can,also increasing a little bit the power,just for fun:lol:Thanks for any advice

20. 2swe Forum Member

8v manifold does not fit 16v head..

4-2-1 is far better for street, 4-1 increase hp at redline.

JustinMK3GTI likes this.