16V ABF Intake Manifold Development (results)

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Ben S, Nov 14, 2011.

1. K3VM4C New Member

As long as your sure Ben. Like smudge said, we can split the thread if you find us pulling away from the original subject too much.

I don't know about anyone else, but i'm not even a fan of bonnet scoops, never mind cutting holes then adding lumps and bumps. I think it would probably take away from the original shape of the car, not to mention give too much away as to what could be under there. lol
    That's not to say it couldn't be done of course.

Ahh i see. So having that set up with the long runners would only really be ideal for city driving if engine was in a car. Not much use for putting the boot down then as you'd probably run out of steam quite quickly.
    If someone did want to do this though, i suppose they could have the mounting for the throttle body on the plenum altered by adding a sharp-ish 45 degree bend to take the intake pipe away from the suspension turret a wee bit. But again, then more bends, the more air restriction.

So if you took HT lead interference problem out of the equation, how much sorter ideally would you like to go with the standard inlet? But being able to still comfortably use the car as a daily runner.

Im just looking back over your graphs on page one, and correct me if im wrong, but you seemed to gain both BHP and torque from just shortening the runners. Then when you extended the plenum you did gain a small amount of BHP but seemed to sacrifice some torque, however, you effectively widened the torque band in the rev range.
    So to get further gains ideally you would need to shorten the runners by say another 30mm but then add that back on to the plenum again. This would be giving you a total of 60mm off runners and 60mm onto plenum, am i right in saying that?
    Only problem left to face there is the location of the HT leads i guess, and one things for sure, we can't be doing without them. :thumbd:

2. K3VM4C New Member

I completely agree with you there smudge. The more bends the more restriction. But yet again packaging is coming into play. Ideally you need a wee bit of runner lenght, but cannot get this going straight forward towards the slam panel.
    That's why i was considering making a custom one, cutting out that extra joint between the upper and lower sections of the manifold would smooth out the air flow a good bit. Plus if the 180 was made nice and long you might be able to fit the plenum in front of the HT leads instead of behind, still being able to keep a bit of length in the runners so that the peak torque isn't out of revving range.
    Then, as you said before, fiddle with the position of the injectors so they would have less protrusion in the runners.

Its just a thought. You guys think this would work?

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  3. fastflyer New Member

Hi, Can someone re-upload the photos?

[​IMG]

Greetings and thanks!

4. fastflyer New Member

Hi, Can someone re-upload the photos?

[​IMG]

Greetings and thanks!