16V ABF NEED HELP VCDS

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Matas, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Matas Forum Member

hey, so today my abf decided to die? In the morning car shut down 6 times, if i give a bit of gas it starts to stutter reaal hard, but if i slam on gas it gets through it.
    On a mid day stutter got lower but it stills stutters like crazy when I give some gas.
    I'll have VCDS diagnostics coming my way tonight.
    Any idea what the problem could be?
    And what should I do to see some useful live data on VCDS?
    Thanks in advance

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

3. Matas Forum Member

We are thinking it might be a distributor fail
    Fauts are G145 cylinder 1 recognition sender (no signal)
    Lambda probe G39 (no signal)

4. rubjonny

Do both the codes come back once cleared?

try unplugging the distributor, if it runs much better then replace the distributor or the hall sensor inside if you can find one

5. Matas Forum Member

Lambda dissapears for a bit but it comes back, while other fault stays all the time, we opened distributor cap, it had a bit of oil inside and its looks like its a bit melted inside

6. rubjonny

alrighty get the distributor sorted and see how you get on, if you unplug it the engine should run fine but you'll loose a little performance/economy. without the distributor the engine switches to a batch fire map, in my experience its still pretty pokey but not a smooth on the throttle.

with lambda unplugged it runs ok as well, but not as smooth at idle and on/off throttle in traffic. for this code check for any obvious damage in the wiring, but if its never been replaced in your ownership it might just be time to get a new one. You can use bosch universal type LS03 which comes with a crimping block to attach the original plug onto it, sometimes works out a bit cheaper than a bosch direct fit one but not always

7. Matas Forum Member

We changed the distributor cap and that thing inside it( i dont know what its called in english), car runs fine now, but it it still stutters a bit from time to time when accelerating, we have changed lambda sensor before.

8. rubjonny

hall sensor :)

ok if the distributor code is gone for gone but lambda is still flagging up then check the wiring to it next

9. Matas Forum Member

There wasnt a distributor code, i had typed before here what codes i had, but distributor change helped, we have changed lambda, hall sensors, spark wires and spark pluges not so long ago

10. rubjonny

G145 cylinder 1 recognition sender = distributor ;)

11. Matas Forum Member

Oooh thank you, that changes a lot haha, i need to plug diagnostics again today to see what faults there are

12. Matas Forum Member

Ok so I just had diagnostics plugged in
    G145 comes up no matter what, but car now runs and it runs better than ever before :/

13. rubjonny

i guess since intermittent distributor fault is now permanent ecu is now ignoring it rather than switching between maps as the signal comes in and out.

actually when you said 'the thing inside it' did you actually mean the rotor arm whi9ch spins round inside the cap, rather than the sensor inside the distributor which you need to split the unit down to replace...

if you didn't change the hall sensor inside the distyributor and you're 100% sure the wiring to it is ok then that would be the next job, if not the entire distributor assembly. note it has to be an ABF distributor, a KR/9A/PL/6A/etc one wont work

14. Matas Forum Member

yes i meant the rotor arm :)