16v KR Cold Start Issue

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Mattie_MK2, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Mattie_MK2 New Member

Hi everyone,

For as long as I can remember I have had this cold start issue with my 16v engine which I have been trying to fix.

When I start the car up from cold, It initially revs to around 2k rpm and then drops down below 1000rmp and either begins to shudder or will just stall.

I initially thought it was the 5th injector (cold start valve) so using the trick someone mentioned on another thread I disconnected it and held it in a small bottle to see if it was spraying fuel.
    While it did work It seems to do one spray then stop for a few seconds and then spray again which I feel is the reason why my car struggles when cold.

I have replaced the thermo-timing switch as well as the coolant temp switch but dont know how to fix this issue.

any Ideas would be greatly appreciated, Thankyou.

2. watercooled Forum Member

Have you checked over the engine for vacuum leaks ,bad wiring or connecters don't help,good places to start.
    My ABF on k-jet had many bad vacuum hoses so I did all the bad ones I could get to.
    Start with the simple things and move on from there ,good luck.

3. Mattie_MK2 New Member

It could possibly be vacuum leaks as there were a lot of the hoses loose, I tried finding any sources online but couldn't find any info on where they go.

4. watercooled Forum Member

I just replaced in silicone hose as it lasts and is cheaper than the cloth rapped stuff which I dislike.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin