16v KR Oil Pump Assembly

Discussion in '16-valve' started by the loop, Mar 26, 2019.

1. the loop Forum Member

Hi all,

I am rebuilding my 1990 KR engine and need a new oil pump, which I have a few questions about...

First things first, the oil pump that came out has the part number 026 115 153 A, and the plastic baffle's part number is 051 103 623. Are these the original parts, or have they been upgraded at some point? It seems that many 16v pumps are sold with a much smaller baffle tray and sometimes a different shaft?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've had a bit of trouble finding new, quality, like for like replacements for these parts online. Is there anywhere I can buy these new, or do I have to consider alternative pumps? If there are alternatives, do these require any other parts changes such as different drive gears for example?

When I dropped my engine off at the machine shop I hadn't removed the drive gear or cap from the engine. When I got it back, these were in a separate bag and the machinist warned me to ensure that there is clearance between the drive gear and the end cap when reassembled (to allow for thermal expansion). Surely it's not possible to get this wrong unless the new oil pump has a different shaft length?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So... In addition to my questions above, I want to be extra sure that these photos show the correct assembly of pump, gear and cap. I also want to be sure that no parts are missing as it could be disastrous if I get it wrong!

Cheers,

Andrew

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the combined windage tray/baffle is an original part, my 16v engine had the same and its also used on some of the diesel engines.

as you say on the oil drive front theres not really anything you can adjust with the solid blank type, just fit and go. However there is a bush inside the block, maybe that was replaced and why he mentioned to check it. The 2.0 16v has a 2 piece assembly with a lower section which floats, I guess that would be the way to go if the gear is too tight in the block with a new upper bush pressed in?

heres a great set of pics showing the assembly on the 2.0 16v with the floaty upper blank, theres 2 oil shaft bushes in total the lower one tapped in just above where the main pump body is bolted to and upper which sits in the casting where the gear drops in if you get me:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.ph...ersions-faq-added-p2-updated-p4.197527/page-3

as for quality parts not many manufacturers to choose from. last time I bought a pump it was a 2.0 8v one from GSF, was some brazillian make which I was a bit dubious about but once fitted it worked great lots of oil pressure showing on my gauge (same pressures as before, turns out my issue was knackered head not oil pump :lol:)

3. the loop Forum Member

Thanks for the detailed response. Are these the two bushes you're referring to?

From above:

[​IMG]

And below:

[​IMG]

After a bit more Googling my current plan is now looking like fitting a Mk3 Golf sump baffle, with a pump with a smaller plastic barrier. Would this be a good idea?

E.g:

[​IMG]

Finally with regard to the pumps... I've found a no-name "German" splined pump here. But would I be better off going for an ABF pump, given a choice of the two? I notice the Mk3 pumps have a stepped shaft - is this a problem? And would the plastic barrier fit this pickup pipe and are the oil flow rates any different?

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Andrew

4. rubjonny

yup those are the ones, I cant see anythign going wrong with them but best to check it all goes nice if your engine builder asks :)

the kr combo sump baffle/windage tray is pretty good as is, probably wouldn't see any benefits going for the diesel windage tray and 8v baffle but still a good combo.

Oil pump is for a 2.0, swaps right over no problem and has a bit more capacity :)

5. the loop Forum Member

OK great. The reason I'm thinking about the diesel baffle is because I can't find another new, large plastic tray/baffle, and mine made some suspicious noises when removing it so I don't want to risk it breaking whilst installed.

Thanks for clearing everything up!

Andrew

6. rubjonny

alrighty if the old one is cracket then you could go that route yep :)

classic parts are making them, if you pop 051103623 into VW heritage search it comes back at £22.65:
    https://www.vwheritage.com/classic/