16v scirocco swap engine idle

Discussion in '16-valve' started by josh52, Apr 23, 2020.

1. josh52 Forum Member

Hi all been a while since I have frequented the forum and had a project on the go.
    I have myself a mk2 Rocco that i have fitted a 2.0 bottom end and kr head and ecu. I have it running and driving but it won’t idle just stalls out.
    At the moment I have only wired the basics On the ecu to get it running.
    I have not wired throttle switch or isv. My question is Would this prevent it idling or should I be looking else where ie metering head? Throttle body?
    Many thanks
    Josh

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

without the isv & throttle switch wired in you'll have to raise the base idle a bit, even the basic kjet 8v has the AAV to help with the idle right now you have nothing to compensate for cold vs hot idle running. people have just fitted an AAV in place of the ISV so thats an option. the isv wiring is very simple if you have a complete donor engine loom to take it from, though you have to try and get hold of the control unit and the loom from it to the engine loom plugs.

its worth checking over the kjet basics using this guide though, might just need a tweak here and there to get it to idle nice:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.ph...air-and-tune-your-mk2-corrado-1-8-16v.195423/

3. josh52 Forum Member

Thanks jon i will go over with this method.
    I managed to pick up a Rocco 16v loom over the weekend so going to re wire it in with all the correct gubbings and start again from a factory spec so all the various other controls are functioning

4. josh52 Forum Member

To further the above with a bit more detail, I have a ce1 loom from a us mk2 Rocco 16v which plugs into the back of fuse box. Also the separate ecu/tic loom and various plugs for sensors. Now there is also a large plug for the knock box in this loom. Am I getting my wires crossed and mixing the later injection with the the earlier? Or do I acquire a knock box then wire it all up. Sorry to ask but my Manual hasn’t turned up yet to track the wiring.

5. rubjonny

sounds like it was from a PL scirocco rather than a KR so not the same wiring on them, scirocco kr is basically same as mk2 golf wiring wise.

another donor you can look for is kr corrado, then strip the kr bits out it has everything you need and not a lot of splicing to the fusebox on a ce1 so pretty easy to convert. the advantage if you have a rhd donor mk2/corrado kr loom is most of it is way too long so can trim back to fresh copper and re-terminate. the engine loom will all be pretty grotty by now usually

6. josh52 Forum Member

Yea looks like I got stiched in this as it was sold to me as a kr loom. however the chap gave me two bin bags with “a load of old wiring” turns out to be 3 looms, and two seem to be early 16v mk2 just gone through and labelled everything up following from one of your old posts. Just got to chop inTo the car now. Thankeee for the Input past and present!

7. rubjonny

good stuff :)

8. josh52 Forum Member

ok loom is in and things are going well (i think)! i can't seem to find much info on the harness for the isv i have found this loom on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283854404629?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&fromMakeTrack=true
    for a not horrible amount of monies, before i spaff any more dosh am i right in thinking i can use the isv part of this loom and chop it into mine? i have the controller, i would make it up but am not having much joy finding a diagram in manuals or the mainframe.

9. rubjonny

have a look in my signature link, g2krecuce1.pdf has complete 16v wiring includes the isv :)

that loom does have the isv controller part in though so can strip it iut, just put a spade on for the ignition live and pop to G2 or 5. kinda pricey just to get that section though

10. josh52 Forum Member

That’s ace just found it on your sig didn’t realise I could scroll to the left for the description and missed the diagram when hunting! Thanks that makes it very clear will make a loom up

11. rubjonny

good stuff :)