1987 16v mk2 golf resto - paint is on!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Coakers, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Ok then, this is the start of a long journey which I expect will be painful as it will be satisfying. I've always been into old cars and the mk2 golf quickly became my favourite (accessible) old car around 18 months ago. I've only been driving 3 years (I'm 29)
    Since this time though I've become slightly obsessed, when I'm not thinking of family stuff I'm thinking of the bloody car! So after wanting a Gti since I passed I found a 16v that was going surprisingly cheap. Advertised for 1000.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ive seen loads of 8valves out there for sale but not many 16valves so I jumped at it. But not just because it was cheap. I even managed knock him down some to 900 due to the fact there were issues that weren't stated in the add. These include the holes in the sills [emoji32] and the fact that I needed a crystal ball to predict whether i was going into first or reverse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eeeesh, but I thought it was still cheap for a 16v. Now I'm by no means an experienced diy mechanic I only first took a spanner to a car two years ago but it has quickly developed into my main hobby/passion.
    I could save and save and buy a really mint mk2 but where would be the fun in that? I would have nowere near the same level of attachment and satisfaction than making a car my own. A point of view held by most of you but not by most of my friends and family.
    As you may of spotted the car (eleanor, named by girlfriend because of the licence plate and Gone in 60 seconds) was blue, monza Blue and is really the only reason I bought this particular car! It had a terrible respray in black which is dull and peeling, why paint over monza blue I'll never know.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the first thing I did was replace the entire gear linkage (which I did with the help of one of the many great threads on this site. runjonnys I think. Also aligned with gear alignment tool that can be found on the bay.
    It was leaking oil quite badly from the rocker, the pads and discs were worn down to next to nothing. There is play in all the wheelbearings and top mounts. No hot air. There is a rattle from the engine once you hit over 3k revs, any ideas what that could be?? And a an even bigger list to come...

Sent from my D6503 using Tapata

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  2. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

I did send the car a garage to be fully checked over, the water pump needed replacing and timing/fan belt (not been very well looked after) so had that done as well as a lick of paint to the engine bay.
    The garage were cursing me though because half the bolts were threaded or snapped, also the new w/p didn't mate to the block apparently so the block had to be 'made flush' not sure how they did that. Anyone here know? Also didn't load up the other sill which is worse so here it is ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hated the big bumpers with no trim, they were also hanging off, the clips had broke on all four corners and we're held on with cable ties!! Since it is an 88 model I sourced some small bumpers, they look better anyway IMO. And to be rid of them awful black l.e.d indicators too. Had to hash into the loom to sort it (my first dabble with car wiring)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's better

When having the bumpers off I found further rust in one of the chassis legs which was not expected.

[​IMG]

My clutch peddle was sticking to the floor next so fearing the release bearing was going I replaced the clutch cable. Which was easier than I thought, it is a manual adjustment one simpley 'slack off' the old one, detach from the arm and unhook it from the peddle, (remove lower facia under steering wheel)

[​IMG]

Thread old one out and replace with new one, i braced the clutch arm with a piece of wood to give it slack. Makes hooking new one on easier.

[​IMG]

Appears it solved the problem, the old cable was rusty and the pedal is a lot less stiff so happy about that one.

[​IMG]

Driving upto the lakes (on m6) and the heater matrix popped, well i say popped i think it exploded at least that what it felt like when boiling water and steam burst through the vents, much to my girlfriends shock. She said something along the lines of 'pull the f**k over before I get f***Ing scalded alive!!'

[​IMG]

I didn't have breakdown cover so had to fork out 140 quid to the rac. If i had a basic set a tools, Coolant and some hose I could of avoided that. Told the rac guy how to bypass it which didn't take long and we were back on the road.

I'm not liking the rattle and the car didn't come with any service history so I am looking to get the engine rebuilt, I've toyed with the idea of swapping the engine but I want to keep it original. So that will be on the plan for this. Actually I've not discussed the plan so it is as follows:
    - Heater matrix replacement in August
    - Manual steering at the minute and I share the car with my girlfriend and she wants p/s so will be undergoing a power steering conversion in september. Whilst this is happening I'm going to strip subframe, crossmemeber, wishbones and repaint them and replace any bushes that are required.
    - welding will be sorted before next mot in Dec. Already been in contact with a reputable welder whos going to carry out the work.

[​IMG]

- By April '17 I have budgeted to have the car stripped back and resprayed. I love Bight Blue Metallic so it will be that colour most likely although I have toyed with it being it's original monza blue.
    Still looking for a reputable body shop. I've been recommended 'ARG Refinishing' and been in contact with him and seen his work which looks good but I'm going to keep my options open as I think it is the biggest gamble finding somewhere that will do a top class re-spray.
    I don't mind travelling for the right job and my budget it is around 2500.

Also will be resealed underneath. Block and head painted bolts replaced etc.

Found these Bbs Rz's for the princely sum of 60 which was an absolute bargain.

[​IMG]

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  3. Rooster

Rooster Paid Member Paid Member

Great thread. I sold my quite decent 8v as I'd run out of jobs to get stuck into so I know where you're coming from. Heater matrix is a bit of a pig first time around but not difficult. Enjoy

4. Kroney Forum Member

Oh mate, not long had the car and a heater matrix swap. If you have a look through my thread, there's links to all the heater matrix stuff in there. It's possible to do it with most of the dash still in, but if I had to do it again i'd probably have the dash out completely. Pretty sure trying to work around it made the job five times harder.

I toyed with getting my car done in Monza or Brilliant Blue, but with mine being an unusual colour I figured keeping it original would be best. if you want opinions, I'd say let the full colour changes be done on the more common coloured cars :thumbup:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  5. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Thanks for the replies, replacing the heater matrix is almost a right of passage!
    I've seen a few threads and removing the whole dash will probably be the way I'll go.
    Ive been talking to a few more body shops today and looking at some examples of monza blue I have been swayed in that direction, especially since BBM is a '90 spec colour anyway, I'd love to see her how she originally was, sound advice though thanks, heater matrix job will be in a couple of weeks I reckon.

6. Break Forum Member

'pull the f**k over before I get f***Ing scalded alive!!'

haha, the joy. I hope she sees the funny side.

looks miles better with the small bumpers, and when you go back to Monza :thumbup:

good luck with getting the rust sorted and the heater matrix, thankfully i havnt experienced it!

7. twolitrepinto Forum Member

The heater matrix is a doddle if the car is without a dash, and its not that hard to remove the dash on a mk2.

I don't understand why people would rather spend hours upside down struggling, that's a nightmare, easier to remove the dash.

If the car is being stripped for a restoration, you might as well.

Ps, make sure to fit a mk3 replacement not mk2 :)

Good luck and have fun :thumbup:

8. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Thanks guys and twolitrepinto I'm all set to do my matrix today, with the dash out!

But I'm falling at the first hurdle, getting stuck on removing this bolt from the bulkhead

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someone has previously had a go at it as they've cut out half of the heat shield to do it ???? but the bolt is rigidly stubbornly unwilling to move and is just turning with the nut. Tried plus-gas, double nutting but the thread on the **** bolt is worn down through rust and previous attempts to remove I think.

Which leaves me only to cut the nut off with my dremel? Also tried vice grips on the thread and turn with spanner but I'll ruin the thread and I've got no replacement. Eeeesh

9. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I'd Dremel it off, the diamond coated cutting disks work a treat.

10. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Phew well I had a bash with what I had but It didn't work, didn't want risk cutting the nut off since I didn't have a spare. So it was dash in job.

[​IMG]

Took the seat out as this gives much needed room, especially if your tall.

[​IMG]

Ah these clips, especially the one at the back!! [emoji21]
    [​IMG]

Das culprit!
    [​IMG]

Enjoyed the next bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to start reassembly!

11. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Ok then after connecting everything back up inside the cabin and only losing my temper once whilst trying to reconnect a cable to the directional airflow hoop thingy. this happened.

[​IMG]

I was VERY pi***d off and was considering running some hose from the exhaust to the cabin to let the car finish me off!

However after I cooled down and came to terms that it's just to direct the airflow to the footwell I brightened up and cracked on.

It will still annoy me until it's fixed, more so because I know I broke it so I'm on the lookout for the matrix housing, I may try and glue it but can't see it holding.

Still yet to drain the Coolant and connect the new matrix up as time is limited, been at this most of morning, errands to run and in work tonight. The joy [emoji52]. In my haste I found this when I was clearing up

[​IMG]

Back to being annoyed. Hopefully it's not essential of anyone knows what it's use is i'd really appreciate it.

Just a few bits and bobs from then on. I gather this is the bias valve I olno longer need? Already been blanked off at one end.

[​IMG]

I really don't like rushing to get anything done on the car and just using a bit of realism having the car as a daily and restoring it at the same time is just never going to happen.

We thought we could cope without a car whilst the jobs get done but she needs too much work and will be off the road too long to go without a car.
    So will be using until Dec (mot runs out). Just put it down to blind naivety and inexperience. So she's going off the road for the best part of next year to get stripped down and rebuilt. I know that some of these updates are probably boring so far especially when compared to all the great builds on this site but watch this space.

Real work has not even started yet. Until then I'll spend my time researching and planning ahead. Looking forward to next year. I can't wait!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  12. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Not much done personally but I have gone and bought these....

[​IMG]

Melber Mahles with new Nankangs. Yes bit of stretch but nothing silly.
    Spent the grand total of 360 on them which I thought was an absolute bargain. Ok 30 In petrol on top.

Had my first dabble in paint outside a living room wall.

[​IMG]

The gentleman leaning on the workbench is my 91 year old grandad who will not be kept away from anything mechanical. He spent most of his spare time building model steam engines, he also maintained the neighbours cars for years. His shed is an alladins cave!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes I know it's an 8v radiator but I cannot find 16v rads anywhere. Plenty of companies fobbing off 1.6 rads as 16v rads so this is a perfectly suitable alternative.

My refurbished mk3 P/S rack came, which only cost 85

[​IMG]

But down to the curveball, on the way to pick up the wheels today I stopped off at Deutsch Doctors in Stoke-on-Trent as it was on the way. I didn't know much about them o thought they were just a body shop until I saw their website but they do everything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was allowed to sit In a very rare Oettinger Mk2 16v, the place almost doubled as a museum.

[​IMG]

They had my car running and the rattle was not only noisy tappets but a very definitive bottom-end knock under high revs [emoji30].
    We had a good discussion and they had a good poke around my mk2 (they were as mortified as I was when they saw the bad flash job over monza blue). They also said only around a 1000 monza blue's were made for the UK don't know how true this is?

I did want to do a lot of the work myself but as this is my first build I have thrown myself into the depend with cement coated straight jacket on but the guys said I can spend a day here and there helping out as they appreciate how personal it is making a car your own.

So plan (still subject to change) car runs out of mot in Dec (we are currently looking for a new daily now) but before it runs out the car will be taken to Deutsch Doctors were it will remain for upto 6 months or more and will be fully restored. It ain't gunna be cheap I know all I have to say is goodbye expendable income.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  13. sports racer Forum Member

Good to see another MK2 being looked after properly.

And remember the old saying - do it right, do it once.

14. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Thanks mate ???? I refuse to let her go, it's been abused and neglected far too long! time to put her right! [emoji41]

K7aus likes this.
  15. K7aus

K7aus Paid Member Paid Member

Great to see another mk2 being saved especially such a nice coloured monza blue.

Sirguydo and Coakers like this.
  16. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Ok plans have suddenly changed but I dare say cemented. Firstly this is the new daily

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Renault Megane tdci 1.5. Cheap to run and practical. Moving on...

After waiting a few days for a call back from Deutsch Doctors I nipped to a local car restoration company that i had my on for a while. Only a 15 minute drive so why not.. Examples of their work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The co-owner Gary was brilliant, he explained everything logically and how I would be updated step-by-step. They aren't a big shop but he said they have room for one more car [emoji5]

This is going to cost.. But at the end I'll have something special. I'm at a stage in my life were I doubt I'll get this opportunity again.

The workshop was immaculate and the quality of the workmanship was show room quality. I was pretty much sold. My budget vs timescale will equate for around a 2 year build.

So I thought I'd take some last pictures of how the car looks now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also I thought I'd address some of the less finer qualities of the car.

The bonnet shut-lines which frustrates me every time I see it.
    [​IMG]

The massive gap between the boot and taillight.
    [​IMG]

The gaping hole in the sill.
    [​IMG]

Dodgy wiring.
    [​IMG]

The speakers which have been 'installed' by a marauding barbarian
    [​IMG]

Major gripe was the wheel, proper rubs against my thighs and trying to find the brake pedal quickly is potentially dangerous and with a manual rack it makes steering quite a chore
    [​IMG]

I know there is info on this issue I've just not looked into it yet.
    [​IMG]

Tin worm tank straps.
    [​IMG]

Headlining is good though
    [​IMG]

Most of floor pan is decent too
    [​IMG]

Also tried my Melber Mahles on but the low profile stretched tyres made it look ridiculous so they will have to be changed.

I would love to do some of the work myself but lack of 'off road' facilities make it pretty much impossible.

Gave the scuttle a bit of the clean
    [​IMG]

The day the whole car looks like this [emoji7]

beetie likes this.
  17. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Good man!, I must admit when I put my MK2 on the ramps it was the decision wether to bring it back from the dead or break it..

Luckily it's worth restoring :).

Coakers likes this.
  18. rye1991 Paid Member Paid Member

Looking good so far, cant wait to see this progress.

Encase you haven't already worked it out, this is just the bottom cap from the old matrix.
    [​IMG]

Coakers likes this.
  19. blis Forum Member

I bought an after market and found this original cap was better. No big deal though...

Coakers likes this.
  20. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Okie dokie, yesterday I picked up this

[​IMG]

This is Rye1991s abf who's now gone Vr6, a top lad and was very helpful. I admired his build long before he took this ABF out so I feel like I've got very lucky with it as I know it's been looked after. Got a few bits with it too

[​IMG]

Early gti grill with early 16v badge. I'm going with the thinner side mouldings so it will all correlate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All safe and sorted, big piece of the puzzle acquired.

Toyotec likes this.