1987 Mk2 Golf Monza blue 16v

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Lukeybabes, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Lukeybabes Forum Member

No more excuses since I have all the parts now. Digifiz possibly going in this weekend depending if I get time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heated rear screen and fog light switches with no warning lights and the 4 pin CE1 fuel level sender.
    Pretty sure the resistances are the same as the 3 pin one I have in the car (CE2 cars already have 4 pin fuel gauge senders). Tested on the 6 contacts that are sticking out in the 3rd picture from the top.
    1 39 Ohms
    2 63 Ohms
    3 90 Ohms
    4 139 Ohms
    5 192 Ohms
    6 287 Ohms

Pretty sure that is normal on all types of sender from google so one from a CE2 car could have been used.

2. MK5 Steve

MK5 Steve Forum Member

Other than a bit ''low'' for me a stunning car.:clap:

3. Lukeybabes Forum Member

It's in!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Will probably get some more pictures when it gets a bit darker. I bloody love it so much! Got the km/h to mph converter fitted too.
    I wrote up a CE1 wiring guide too if anyone needs one? Couldn't find a CE1 one. Only CE2 guides. And since I had the original loom I thought I would document it.

Also got my BBS out of the garage for a clean, polish and wax ready for ultimate dubs if I get a spot on the club stand. [:D]
    They hadn't been cleaned since they came off of the car before winter.
    Dishes got hand polished but the nuts I could do on the bench grinder luckily. Both were in a sorry state really.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. GG.

GG. Forum Member

Lovely! I guess UK spec GTI's didn't get the Digifiz option at the dealer?

5. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Thanks! Nah it was never an option. This setup came from Latvia actually.

So much sexier in the dark.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. GG.

GG. Forum Member

The world is rather small, eh lol My friend has couple more sets to sell, care for another one? lol

7. Gup16v Forum Member

thats a pretty neat install. I wish i never sold mine now (Digifiz) :(

8. Lukeybabes Forum Member

How much? Tempted to fit one in my mk1 too.

I did it the proper way. Proper ce1 dash wiring loom swapped in. Took the opportunity to neaten up the wires behind the dash too. Kind of wanted to do the same behind the fuse box. Will do that when it eventually gets taken apart for a paint refresh I'm sure.

9. GG.

GG. Forum Member

PM'd :thumbup:

10. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Went to change the fuel sender today. The Digifiz sender didn't come with the pump. It would be different wouldn't it. Was just going to swap the pump from the old one. Think I need a connector pipe thing. Good thing I checked before cutting the old plug off.

[​IMG]

But the resistances are the same for the fuel senders. So that is good to know for CE1 digifiz installers. Can just use a sender from a CE2 car.

Bought a mount for the blaupunkt equaliser. It's meant to be for a CB radio but I modified it a bit to fit the equaliser.

[​IMG]

11. jasongtr Forum Member

cracking car - love the digi dash

12. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Thanks. So do I. Bit distraction while driving because I can't stop looking at it.

GG. likes this.
  13. Lukeybabes Forum Member

It was pointed out to me that my steering wheel is for a non power steering car. So that had to be changed. Power steering car and leather. Nice.
    Gave a a good clean and chucked it in.

[​IMG]

Was a bit shiney after years of use so gave it a buff with some of that JML magic eraser stuff. Think it's meant to be used for cleaning taps and stuff. lol. Works great on shinny leather though.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Also the speedo is a bit high on the digifiz. With and without the mph converter, compared to phone gps and my normal in car sat nav. So I tried wiring in some mk3 clocks in my passenger footwell to see if the speed signal I was getting was the fault or if it was just programmed into the digifiz.
    It was the same reading on the mk3 clocks as the digifiz readout. So I tried another gearbox sensor. And again it was the same. So it must be just my wheel size paired with the programmed in safety.
    So I've bought a Speedohealer so I can manipulate the speed signal to read correctly and in mph.

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Going a different way with the one touch electric windows. Aftermarket unit from a VW T5 will do much better.

[​IMG]

15. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Got another addition to the interior. I bought myself a votex centre console for a reasonable (for a votex in good condition) price. Not sure why, but it came with a din sized cubby hole and a blank? Why would you have a votex to not use all the din holes properly?

[​IMG]

Needed an electric window switch panel. Was planning on buying blank and cutting holes in it but they all looked cheap and awful. Probably would of looked worse with just holes cut in it for switches too.

I had an old electric window console that I took out when I first got the car as it had a phone holder screwed to the side of it. Knew i kept hold of it for a reason. I cut out the switch holder part. And used the flat bit at the side to surround it to make it fit a dun sized hole. Plastic welded them together and voil. Same colour and texture. Could of been factory

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Needed a way to fix it so got an old radio cradle, chopped it down and Araldited it to the back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Done. Do I dare cut a hole in the back of it to fit my cup holder in the ash tray?

[​IMG]

16. GG.

GG. Forum Member

Love your attention to detail!

How are non-PAS steering wheels different? Size I guess?

17. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Thanks. They are a tiny bit smaller. It's really not by much, maybe 10mm. And two the bottom spoke bits point straight down, instead of diagonally.

18. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Got the speedo healer and my one touch windows fitted.

The speedo healer is a great bit of kit. Nice knowing my speedo is accurate now. So easy to program and has a top speed memory. Press a button and it displays on the speedo the top speed you have been. Probably a feature that will never get used, but pretty cool.

Love the one touch windows too. Need to activate the feature on my Cobra G193 alarm to do the full closure when locking the car. Anyone know how? The instructions are useless.

19. benthejettaman Forum Member

isnt your current steering wheel a american spec wheel?

20. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Nope. G60 leather wheel