1990 Golf MK2 GTI 8V H reg - 20V Conversion

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Mullerred, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Mullerred New Member

Howdy folks,

I have a Golf MK2 1990 8V Digifant which I removed the engine and gearbox from back in 2017
    (prior to being diagnosed with Cancer in 2018).

I have an AGU 20V engine in the garage with the clutch fitted & an unlocked ECU.

Just need to obtain the correct gearbox - I bought an 02A DPA gearbox but found the flange size was 108mm and would not fit my original driveshafts. I sold this gearbox and am now on the hunt for an 02J gearbox and have found an EGT code box which from reading should have 100mm input flanges.

Would this gearbox code and ratios be suitable for a 20v MK2?

I remember speaking to someone at a car show who mentioned using inner Seat Ibiza Cupra MK3 1.8T CV joints

SEAT IBIZA 1.8 20v FR, CUPRA INNER DRIVESHAFT CV JOINT (NEW) 04>ON
    Item number - 140376076387

[​IMG]

Just wanted to check if these are the correct ones to use?

Thanks

Muller

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You would have been able to take the cups out of the DPA box and fit 100mm. I’ve not seen a DPA box come with 108mm before unless they’ve been changed.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ratios here:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/vw-audi-seat-skoda-fwd-gearbox-codes-and-ratios.115595/

feed them into calculator here:
    http://www.scirocco.org/gears/

that'll tell you what speed you're going vs rpm in each gear, from there you work out where your peak torque is going to be then you'll see how the engine will react at gear changes. or if its a standard 20v try to keep close to a stock mk4 20v or mk3 abf gearbox ratio set to start with these boxes are well suited to a 20v which is near stock.

The SEAT 20v inner CV joint is the same as the MK2 Golf ones so no need to buy one of those specifically