1990 GTI MK2/ABF/5dr/Alpine White - Au - Mission Complete 1/7/2016

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by blis, Feb 29, 2012.

1. blis Forum Member

Something's bent...

Camber is way too positive, unsure if the bearing carrier top arm is bent, or the strut mounting bracket.

20170406_124410.jpg 20170406_124417.jpg 20170406_124420.jpg 20170406_154245.jpg 20170406_154248.jpg 20170406_154253.jpg 20170406_154257.jpg 20170406_165348.jpg 20170406_165403.jpg 20170406_165407.jpg 20170406_172428.jpg

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

time for some careful measurements on both sides, but the bearing carrier does looks bent to me just from looking, shock absorber seems very close to the cv joint?

blis likes this.
  3. blis Forum Member

I'm leaning toward the bearing carrier too... VWH only has the right side :(

4. blis Forum Member

John, same as a MK3 carrier?

191407256D (Right side - I need leflt)

5. rubjonny

yes the poverty spec mk3 with 239mm brakes uses the same carrier. you may find they have mountings for abs but that doesnt matter to you will still work fine. some higher spec mk3/vento/cabrio will have 256mm brakes, if so those are the same ones as used on the MK2 16v and G60 so a good upgrade.

but check the discs, some have solid 256mm discs and on those the calipers and carriers differ these will only fit over solids not vented like the 16v has (but the bearing carriers are still fine for 256/280 vented setup with the right calipers and carriers to match)

blis likes this.
  6. blis Forum Member

She's rolling again, now to find the same Chinese BBS copy wheel, I might be lucky. Thanks to Matt at Camden GTI for the bearing carrier (and hub - sweet no need for press!). Totally out of alignment at the moment, the strut may have a minor issue but for the sake of getting her off the jack stands, it's a real positive. It was the bearing carrier that was bent, camber is good now and I'm totally amazed at the strength of the K-frame and chassis.

Replaced lower arm kit - VWHeritage - Meyle part - As good quality as original (Impressive) - Came bushed with joints, swapped the roll bar mount for original and used the bushes in the kit - Highly recommend this kit.
    Replaced inner and outer CVs - VWHeritage Meyle. (Came with boots, straps and two sets of bolts too)
    Replace lower ball - VWHeritage - Meyle - Awesome quality
    Replaced Brake Line - VW Heritage - Good quality
    Replaced bearing Carrier
    Bled Brakes...

Happy days!

Brakes bled,

Sirguydo likes this.
  7. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Brilliant news H glad it's back together even if it needs a bit more finessing :thumbup:

8. blis Forum Member

20170413_111314 (Large).jpg 20170413_114944 (Large) - Copy.jpg 20170413_114957 (Large) - Copy.jpg

Rather than spend Easter looking for a crappy needle in a hackstack, bought some more crappy needles, this time they were 8" wide... problem solved, aligned and riding well!

beetie likes this.
  9. Sirguydo

You old TART lol

blis likes this.
  10. blis Forum Member

Rolling on

rolling_on (Large).jpg
    Astonished, impressed, bewildered, happy and concerned to be. It was a hefty hit and monster curb. They repaired it the next day! I suppose if it wasn't there, I'd have slipped over and into the culvert heading straight for a household garden fence.

I'd checked the K Frame bolts, they were all true, there was a small amount of deflection at the front hinge on the lower arm, a hammer convinced it. Steering tie rod shifted and will keep an eye on it. Brakes bled, bumper needs some attention but considering the circumstance, I fared well and got lucky, no doubt about it.

Thanks Matt @Camden GTI, RJ, Nige, Mike and the VWH crew:)

the_scene.jpg
    https://goo.gl/maps/DzjPdZzZad82

11. blis Forum Member

Just putting it out there in case there's something outside the square... Right hand headlight and dashboard is dipping and dimming and everything points to the grounds. There's the old TEMP light warning as well, the one where the clocks are ground as there's plenty of coolant in the bowl. When I installed dash, I took good care to ground the terminal block above steering column to the pillar. I'd also given the loom a good once over in the engine bay, so not feeling confident the problem lies there. PLanning on under dash, clock ground and fuse box checks with continuity... Anything else I might be missing?

h

12. blis Forum Member

And once again, the hex bolt holding the steering column clamp was loose. Should have known better, went out for a test and all's good. Still not sure why this has anything to do with clocks as I thought I'd run a second ground from the Ground distribution to the pillar. Oh well, it's fixed!

Sirguydo and beetie like this.
  13. rubjonny

makes me wonder if you have a loose connection in one of the wire harnessessessses? the clamp holding the lock to the column isnt connected to anything electrically

14. blis Forum Member

I am thinking the same thing, Ive added redundant ground to the distribution block, the column shouldn't have anything to do with it. I drove 1000km to Sydney and back racing and not a flicker of the lights. Bewildered....

h

15. blis Forum Member

Black the rims!

I've begun blackening the inserts.. the photoshop convinced me..
    insert_black_rims.jpg

16. blis Forum Member

Blacked out..

IMG_4407 (Large).jpg IMG_4417 (Large).jpg IMG_4440 (Large).jpg IMG_4443 (Large).jpg

Sirguydo and beetie like this.
  17. blis Forum Member

More CV dramas unti... WHY DIDN'T I REALISE THOSE BOLTS AREN'T TORX.... Double hex... pppppft!

Have a right side CV prob or bearing rumble, but she's running well.

Sirguydo likes this.
  18. Sirguydo

You mean spline drive ?

19. blis Forum Member

20. rubjonny

Ah good to see you're still fiddling about with it :thumbup:

blis likes this.