1992 mk3 Golf Gti 8v engine into my mk2 caddy van

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by leodis2, Mar 6, 2019.

1. leodis2 Forum Member

Hi there. sorry to bother you again [:[] Just a bit stumped with my fuel gauge not registering correctly. It only shows slightly into the red even though the tank is over half full?

These are the things I have tried.
    Moved the pump around to various positions as I thought the float arm was trapped, no joy..
    I then earthed the turquoise and black wire and the gauge went to full..
    I added an extra earth to the pump plug..no joy
    I refitted the original diesel sender unit and the gauge worked perfectly . which proves the gauge and wiring is all ok ..
    I also change the arm/float off the diesel sender onto the new pump(as it is longer) to see if that made a difference..no joy..
    The pump I have fitted is a brand new mk4 golf pump which is the prefered choice when fitting a golf mk3 8v petrol engine into a caddy mk2 van.. It works perfectly regarding pumping fuel and have been on quite a few long trips with no problems apart from no fuel gauge reading.

If you can think of anything I have missed/can do It would be appreciated as I am totally stumped [8-}] Thanks H

2. leodis2 Forum Member

Ah forgot to mention, I have tested the pump with multimeter set to 200 ohms , and lifting and lowering the arm its registering ..

3. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

What is the resistance on empty half and full between the 2?

4. leodis2 Forum Member

Hi the Empty reading is 56.3... half 145.1 .. full 197.1

Thanks H

5. leodis2 Forum Member

.. That is on the new pump. will nip to the garage and test the original sender now .

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the MK4 level sender works opposite to the mk1/2/3 type. you have to cut a wire off the level sender board and re-wire it to the opposite side. or swap the old level sender assembly to the mk4 pump assembly somehow

7. leodis2 Forum Member

Right so new golf mk4 pump reading .. Empty 56.3 Half 145.1 Full 197.1 (shows no reading on the gauge)

Original sender readings .. Empty 18.94 Half 88.18 Full 36.5 ( this does register the fuel correctly on the gauge)

Many Thanks H

8. leodis2 Forum Member

thanks for your reply i think i will replace the original sender unit that will sort the fuel.gauge out and fit a inline fuel pump at side of tank could you recomend a suitable inline pump that will run my 8v petrol golf engine.

9. rubjonny

You can adapt the MK4 sender like this, note cut blue wire at the left and its re-soldered to the right:
    g4pumpsender.jpg

erreesse and leodis2 like this.
  10. leodis2 Forum Member

Ah thanks for that... On it :thumbup:

11. leodis2 Forum Member

Right then .. cut the blue wire at the left and it re-soldered to the right as per your pic. Needle now does move from red which it didn't before, yeay [:^:]...... But needle seems to stick at just over 1/4 full mark and I definitely have more fuel than that in, probably 3/4 of a tank full of petrol?
    Thanks again H

12. rubjonny

may need to tweak the float arm a bit to get it 100% spot on, main thing is the level sensor does at least work in the right direction now :lol:

Simon Peter Dodgson likes this.
  13. leodis2 Forum Member

Yes hallelujah! :) been messing with this a week now. I have just tried moving the pump/float around and still seems to stay at 1/4 mark. Only thing I have noticed is the arm on the original caddy sender is quite a bit longer than the one on the new mk4 pump and the float points in the opposite direction. I am toying with the idea of swapping the arms over to see if that does the trick.. although I am sick to death of pulling that pump in and out lol

14. rubjonny

yeah im sure its getting old :lol: next time move the arm up and down manually to make sure it reads across the full range on the cluster :)

theres a reset procedure you can do on the MK3, might also work on yours:
    1. Place key in ignition.
    2. Turn ignition to the "RUN" position but don't start the car.
    3. Press and hold your "Trip Reset" button in your gauge cluster. (Keep holding it)
    4. Turn ignition off.
    5. As soon as you complete step "4" IMMEDIATELY start your car (you should still be holding the "trip reset"
    6. Once you have verified car is running you may release the trip reset. See if your gas gauge moved at all.

15. leodis2 Forum Member

0692-20140912_112431.jpg This is what is causing me all this trouble :)

16. leodis2 Forum Member

Hi there just a quick one i've managed to get some g60 brake carriers and some drilled and grooved 280mm discs. Could I use my existing callipers as they were newly fitted or do i need g60 callipers to match the new carriers .. my previous set up was 256mm . Many thanks again H

17. rubjonny

the will bolt up yep, but the 256mm calipers are narrower than G60 ones so you need to use 256mm pads which are thinner than 280mm versions. sometimes even that isnt enough as the g60 discs are also thicker, so you need part worn pads or you grind the slider pins down slightly to give you that little bit of extra clearance

18. leodis2 Forum Member

Ok. Thanks very much for that. So do I remove the pin from the carrier and grind of a couple of ml off the length of the pin or the head of the pin?.. Thanks H

19. rubjonny

off the hex shaped head of the pin, just make sure you have a spanner thin enough to fit once modified ;)

20. leodis2 Forum Member

Ah ok right, thank you. Been barred from touching the van till after Christmas now, so will do that on the 26th ;)
    Thanks again and have a great Christmas . H