2.0 litre 8v conversion, inlet manifold ?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by dUff, Aug 23, 2005.

1. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Hi
    Looking at helping my mate do a 2.0 litre 8v in his 1.8 8v digfant mk2, the donur is a mk3 8v p reg with the siemens managment.

Question is are the heads compatable e.g can i just swap the mk2 inlet manifold and put that on the 2.0 head ?

Cheers

2. JamesB Forum Member

You will want to keep the 1.8 cylinder head. It flows much better than the Mk3 2L one.

And yes, it does fit straight onto the 2L block.

3. jimmy8v Forum Member

Theres virtually nothing in the flow rates of the standard heads(as far as i'm aware). The only real difference that means anything is that the 2l head is x-flow which means no exh. manifold heat for carbs/itb's.

However if you're keeping the mk2's fueling system it makes life a lot easier if you keep the 1.8 head.

4. Unknown Forum Junkie

What he said! Using the MK2 head and just the Mk3 block and distributor make the whole thing laughably simple!
    The Mk2 manifold wont fit the mk3 head, they changed the injectors to fit in the manifold and not the head, so they have big T shaped ports at that end.
    <hr />
    the Mk3 8v 2.0 isnt a cross flow, if only they were it'd be a cracker but they are just a modification on the old counterflow ones, I'm not certain that the Mk2 one flows any better or worse. The crossflow ones seem to flow much better though from what I've heard. Ive driven a sorted one and it was a completly different engine in feel to my flowed counterflow one with the same ECU
    Edited by: Unknown

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

X-Flow heads are from beetles, Mk4 golfs, and some Ventos

Mk3 golf heads are all counterflow, as far as I know.

Keep the digi head, manifolds, management and either get an adaptor ring for the dizzy, or buy a 2E type Mk3 dizzy, as it's designed to work with digifant.

It'll run a lot better at the top end if you get some head work done before you do the conversion.

See the 'Parts for Sale' section for lots of useful bits to help you ;) Plug!!

6. chrismc Forum Junkie

?? The 2L isnt a x-flow...

Use the original digifant head/inlet manifold complete....

All you need is a 2E dizzy in the mk3 block (to match up to the digi loom) & away you go

7. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Spot on guys cheers, sounds like i can get this conversion sorted in a weekend now , excellent.

Yeah this 2 litre head is not X-flow ,

What other donur vehicles could i find this dizzy from in the scrapyard, Does a 2.0 8v Passat have the correct dizzy as that digifant and has a 2.0 block

Ah one more thing as its tall block ( well i guess it is ) are the exhaust parts interchangeable e.g use the mk3 exhaust manifold ?
    Whats the best setup for getting the exhaust to work

Cheers

8. Unknown Forum Junkie

stock downpipe is fine on the tall block 8v cars. I've used stock manifolds and downpipes on both mk1 and mk2 golfs with tall block engines and they work very well, not tried an fancy 4 branch pipes but stock ones give good power for the most part anyways, go for summat flashier later if needs be.
    The 2.0 passat is very probably a 2E so the distributor would work a treat with a digi.

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

I've got a 2E dizzy for sale....

click me