2.0ltr 16v catch can

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by 6Veedubaddict6, Feb 22, 2021.

1. 6Veedubaddict6 Forum Member

Hi there everyone I hope you are all doing well.
    Firstly sorry to be bringing up a subject that has been covered previously but I am still a little unsure about this.
    Firstly it is a KR setup with a recently fitted 6a 2.0ltr bottom end.
    I was wondering if anyone has a diagram of how to fit a budget catch can? Or if it is deemed better i can buy one?
    Any help or advice on this would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Kind Regards
    Calvin

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

jusat needs plumbing to the breather on the front of the block, if you still have the air shrouded injectors theres a T off to the vacuum nipple on the inlet manifold. if the injectors dont have the top hats on then you can cap off that nipple.

then you either vent tank to atmosphere with breather filter or plumb it back to airbox

3. 6Veedubaddict6 Forum Member

Hi dude thanks for the swift reply.
    I honestly don't know the difference between shrouded and non shrouded injectors.
    I bought braided fuel lines and injectors that were an exact match to the old ones and the car ran well.
    Unfortunately though I have been busy all day today trying to get it running. It will turn over but won't start.
    I bought hel fuel lines from a guy on ebay along with the metering head but this led to severe over fueling which led to nearly a litre of fuel in my oil. So I removed them and fitted my old braided ones back on. I did notice though that the hel fuel lines and injectors that came with them are actually are smaller thread than the ones I have fitted at the moment. So I am planing on just getting rid of them.
    I am unsure why the bloody thing won't start.
    After our previous discussion I went for the 6a bottom end conversion as I managed to source one at a good price.
    I am worried now about the over fueling though and just can't figure out for the life of me why if won't start. It has a strong spark on all 4 cylinders and has been timed up properly when the engine was out. I am planning on putting up the build thread soon but would like to have it running first.
    Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you
    Kind Regards
    Calvin

4. rubjonny

Sounds liek the new injectors and lines are from a 9A as they use finer thread pitch, still flow the same though so no problem. used a set of 9a lines & injectors on my old cabrio 16v no problem at all. might be metering head is bad, or just way out of adjustment. have a read:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.ph...air-and-tune-your-mk2-corrado-1-8-16v.195423/

if you used direct fit bosch injectors same as original then you're fine, they have an extra metal 'top hat' on the end with a thin rubber seal. non-shrouded are plain and just have the main rubber doughnut seal to the injector cups. the problem is if you use non-shrouded injectors you end up with an air leak past where the top hat should seal, so you need to cap off the thin vacuum nipple on the inlet manifold problem solved.

shrouded:
    shrouded.jpg
    vs non-shrouded:
    non-shrouded.jpg

5. 6Veedubaddict6 Forum Member

Hi dude.
    Mine are definitely the shrouded injectors.
    I found that after fitting the hel fuel lines and injectors that came with them they made a funny noise when the fuel pump primed before start up. Then led to severe flooding so I took no chances and just removed the lot.
    I am going to head out today and set up the rotar arm and dizzy to ensure its correct.
    Am I right in saying the engine needs to be at tdc and the rotar arm is to be about 10 o'clock and the firing order is actually anti clockwise?
    I am sorry for sounding so useless by the way haha.
    I am really hoping to get her running this week. Then I can move onto fitting my new suspension (ebach lowering springs and bilstein shocks) along with drilled discs and pads. Going to fit mk3 rear calipers also but they need a rebuild before fitting.
    Have coilovers on her just now and I hate them so looking forward to having the new suspension fitted.
    The catch can will be getting fitted as soon as she's running just to improve on the setup because before with the KR bottom end I was forever cleaning the inside of the intake boots.
    Thanks so much for your help BTW.
    Kind Regards
    Calvin

P.s I will put up a build thread once she's complete.

6. rubjonny

when head is at TDC your rotor arm needs to point at the notch in dizzy housing, and firing order is 1342 anti-clockwise on a 16v and also 1.1-1.3 (basically most engines with head mounted dizzy)

7. 6Veedubaddict6 Forum Member

Nice one rubjonny.
    You are some guy.
    Thanks so much for you help.
    Kind Regards
    Calvin