2.1l 8v & 272 cam - Love-Hate Relationship

Discussion in '8-valve' started by keep it low, Mar 17, 2010.

1. keep it low Forum Member

should the isv be buzzing when I turn the ignition?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep! they can be real quiet tho so put your ear to em. the black wire to the isv should have 12v with the ignition so start there. also check the idle switch is clicking when the throttle is closed and the wiring is alright. if you have a spare random isv to hand worth just plugging that into the loom to see if it buzzes :)

3. keep it low Forum Member

ah, I think here is my idling problem then. the isv isnt buzzing and i checked it yesterday with the multimeter and I only get 8.3V not 12V. also I already replaced the one that came on that engine with the one that was on the old engine but its still not buzzing.

4. rubjonny

hmm, maybe a wiring fault to ecu, or the idle switch wiring as above.
    it runs to ecu pins 22 and 23 if you have a multimeter, check the wires for continuity :)

also, took me 3 abf isvs till i found one that worked :lol:

5. keep it low Forum Member

cool, I ll try the idle switch, check the continuity of the wire and I ll try another isv (think Ive got another one off a g60 in the garage).
    Cheers

6. chrismc Forum Junkie

throttle body microswitch wiring might well have snapped giving a random pulsing idle. Give the wires a good pull as they may seem ok at first glance. Also check blue temp sender and wiring too...

A 272 deg duration cam on a ~2L motor is pretty mild so it should pull well from the word go...;)

7. keep it low Forum Member

272 on a 2l is supposed to be mild, there is nothing under 3000rpm, it takes forever to get to 3000rpm and under 1750rpm it feels like its misfiring. is that just because I havent set the co properly yet? I am bidding on a co meter but cant really do anything until then.

8. rubjonny

when i played with the co i never really n oticed it made that much of a difference really, even when it was very lean it still pulled alright!

9. keep it low Forum Member

Did I mention I hate this car!!!!
    After lunch I wanted to go to uni and this schlaaaaaag of a golf wouldnt start so I spend 2 hours fixing it and I didnt get anywhere. aaaaaaaaaaah
    I noticed the idle micro switch wasnt clicking so I changed the whole throttle body for the one off the old engine which didnt make difference at all but I still need to test the wires and try the 3rd isv I ve got somewhere in the garage.

Also I found loads of oil coming in through the breather as you can see in this picture:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thats no normal is it? why would ther be so much oil coming in through the breather?

and here is a pic of the throttle body off the old engine when i took it off:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think something went wrong there hehehehe

next problem is that will start, rev up a bit and then it ll die and not start again until i unplug the connector for the fuelrail. what could that be? Must be putting too much fuel in???

10. rubjonny

you wqill gewt oil from the breather, if the mesh on the rocker cover is blocked it might spit a bit more thru as the pressure in the crankcase builds up. as for starting problem, turn the key 1 click, if pump runs continuous rather then priming you've blown the ecu! this is normally casued by a poor gearbox earth, so best to check that as well

11. keep it low Forum Member

cheers, I am starting to think its the ecu. I ll try and get a spare one off a mate tomorrow and I ll sort the earth on the gearbox out before I put it on.

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

Have you got a plastic oil scraper on top of the cam? If not, it'll chuck a load of oil down the breather. Might explain your high CO readings too. Then it'll foul the plugs and make it hard to start. You wouldn't be the first person to make that mistake.

13. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

been there done that![:$]

14. keep it low Forum Member

good Idea, I ll check it tomorrow but I am sure I put it back on after lining up the cam.
    Also the problem is not thats hard to start, it does start but then it cuts out straight away even with giving it a bit of throttle.

Even though I am starting to think its the ecu, it was alright on wednesday night I drove it to uni and back and then on thursday morning the problems started but I didnt do anything on the car in between so how could the ecu have been fried in that time?

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

I think the ECU is unlikely to be the problem, but there's no harm in swapping out to check, if you can get hold of a spare one. you might want to check all the contacts are clean, dry and shiny while you're there.

16. keep it low Forum Member

A mate just gave me his spare 8v ecu, but when I had a look at the gearbox earth I saw that the bolt holding the gearbox on was loose but the little nut holding the earth on was tight, could that have fried the ecu?

17. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

quite possibly altho it doesnt sound like the usual fried ecu problem, typically the fuel pump just runs on an on when you turn the ignition on, instead of just on for a second or so

18. Mike_H Forum Addict

^^ What he said.

19. Andy Mestengo New Member

чем закончилась история?