2 litre 8v gti performance.

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Rogerdodger, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Rogerdodger New Member

Hi.This is my first posting.I own a year 2000 gti 2litre 8v which I know you guys probably snicker at as being the slowest ever gti.It is a great car with superb build quality and goes well enough generally for me.Are there any 'quick (cheap) fixes' to getting more out of the engine or should I just be content with what I have got?
    Just wish sometimes it had a bit more go in it but most of the time I am very happy.Not looking for R32 performance just a bit of 'pepping up'.
    Sorry,just realised this should have gone in the engine and tuning section.Oops.
    Thanks.

Edited by: Rogerdodger

2. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

Breathing mods for starters mate, cone air filter and a cat back exhaust system should pep up the perfomance a little and make the car sound nicer. As for cheap fixes, to put it bluntly there aren't any

3. Rogerdodger New Member

Thanks for the advice.I know the engine is never going to set the world on fire but as and when finances allow I will try your suggestions.
    Thanks again.

4. H8SV8S Forum Member

To be honest (and I've been ribbed for this before!!), I think the 2.0 8v mill is one of the best VW engines ever built. I had a mint Mk3 that I wrote off ( [:^(] ), I never got it on the dyno, but it just ran so well and I'm sure had A LOT more than 115BHP. As an allrounder, you can't beat them, so I'd leave it alone and be happy with it. I had withdrawal symptoms, so I bought one for my Mk1 and can't wait to get her on the road :clap:
    Edited by: H8SV8S

5. Rogerdodger New Member

Thanks for that also.Generally I am very happy with it,it is a great,smooth very well built car that is a joy to drive.Isnt the MK4 golf quite a bit heavier than the MK3 which is partly why is feels slower?
    I must admit I would not want to make it any noisier by putting,say,big bore exhausts on.Part of the appeal is how quiet and smooth it is.Maybe I will leave alone and just put up and shut up.
    Nice photos by the way.
    Cheers.

6. H8SV8S Forum Member

Yep, the Mk4 is a lot heavier - it would have been good if they'd applied the same 'old-skool' engine design in say 2.4 litre inline 4 form. Anyway, can't have everything I s'pose and there's certainly positives in a quiet, smooth car, rather than one that vibrates from induction howl:lol:

7. mark25 Forum Junkie

watch the replacement air filters, the ones with oil tend to ruin the MAF.
    M.

8. binliner Forum Member

I found my mk3 8v was ok below 4000rpm but didnt have much top end.
    I had it remapped at AmD which gave it a bit more top end grunt and
    smoothed out the power delivery... it was dyno'd at 134bhp with a milltek
    exhaust, k&N panel filter and remap :)

9. mark25 Forum Junkie

uk-mkvsforim deals more with that motor.
    M.

10. mk3anniversary Forum Member

DON'T put a cone filter on. Ruins it.

Panel filters fine though

11. Rogerdodger New Member

Thanks for all the advice,guys.Wont be doing anything for a while as finances a bit tight at the moment but certainly plenty of food for thought.
    Cheers and thanks again.

12. Wookie101 New Member

Guys, why do cone's ruin the MAF?

Cheers
    Wookie101

13. gti3_20 Forum Member

If the oil isn't baked on the the filter properly it will get sucked off and coat the resisters in the maf and change there values.

I think anyway!!

14. MrBen Forum Junkie

But you ran one on your car for ages Steve?!

Some people don't like the cone filters, but I've been running one for quite a while now, and have had no difficulties, throttle response feels a little better, and i love the noise!

15. vdub4life New Member

i'm in the same boat

i have the exact same car by the sounds of it. my 2000 2.0L gti suffered from severe slowness, but like you said the handling and smoothness are unmatchable. i put in a performance ignition, Cold Air Intake and a simple (not a tin can) exhaust. It doesn't sound rediculous but helps with power. good luck

16. mexicorich Forum Member

Cone filters are for Saxos and Corsas!

17. rallyeluke Forum Member

cone filters are for people who enjoy sucking hot air into there engine!

18. g60gerry Paid Member Paid Member

When finances permit, you can go turbo like me..and harvest 240-260 bhp and peel vrs and 16v and [:D] [:D] :p off the road like they aint there. and still retain a smooth factory sounding car.

19. crez New Member

just been told the same thing as everytime I get 'near' to red lining it I get massive rev problems then it stalls. Aparantly all down to the induction kit (as the RAC blokey said).

So would it be best to get a better replacement cone filter for the induction kit, or get hold of an original air box filter (car came with the knn)?

Thanks for the help.

20. davygti New Member

Iv got a 2l 8v mk4 and had a k&n induction kit on it had nothing but problems with it ended up ripping itoff and putting the standard 1 back on. better off with a panel filter and a decent back box.