2016 VW GTI S MK7 Upgrades

Discussion in 'Mk7' started by Riotlikebeing, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Riotlikebeing New Member

I just recently purchased a VW GTI S Mk7 and I am in love with the car. I just have a few questions about the car and it's abilities to other owners.
    1. The car has a PSI gauge that goes up to 36.4 PSI of boost whenever I put my foot down. Is this gauge correct or is it just for show and should I get a real one installed?
    2. I looked up the specs of the car and noticed the back pressure from the turbo has a release valve for it's boost control. Can this valve be replaced with a subaru STI blow off valve or something similar to it?
    3. The person who owned the car before me blew the door speakers hard and I am looking at replacing them ASAP. Any suggestions?
    Is there anything I should know to watch out for with this car that isn't normal with a N/A car? I plan on starting to join meet ups and getting this car in top shape for sprint races and drags and hope to have it at 100% soon. Any tips are helpful.

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

36 psi is hopefully woefully inaccurate, otherwise your engine is about to blow up.

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

2016 GTI MK7 means you are in the US?

'S' = 230 ps version?

So you run a CTN* Engine without MPI injectors.

1) The gauge in the center console might read absolute, to you have to subtract 14.7 psi from it.
    2) It is an electronic waste gate actuator. It also runs an electronic re circulation valve. No you cannot run a pneumatic actuators like the old CG8 days on these cars.
    3 I am sure you can by drop in replacements for speakers.

Riotlikebeing likes this.
  4. Riotlikebeing New Member

Thank you for the information. This will help as I plan out my upgrades for this car!