20mm engine spacer - where from?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by MJA, Mar 1, 2022.

1. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,
    I want to try a 20mm engine spacer on my front mount. It's an ABF block with the KR inlet. The throttle body touches the bonnet and the bonnet has been fitted with it slightly raised at the rear hinges.

The 4 branch manifold also catches the bulkhead (planning on changing that back to stock though).

Where can I get something suitable - my google search for "20mm engine spacer mk2" doesn't come with anything off the shelf. I don't know any machinists - if anyone on here can make me one I'll pay :)

Cheers
    Matt

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Like a hockey Puck on the front engine mount?

3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Beaten!
    Hockey puck is approx 20mm, longer bolt and a hole drilled in the puck.

4. MJA

Interesting yes that would work to try it out.

Anyone else had this problem with an abf block in a KR? Any other reason why it might sit high at the back? Even the rubber boot on the intake near the throttle body leaves an imprint in the sound deadening.

5. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
  6. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

I had a similar issue on my mk2 golf 16v , ABF block and standard KR head, cast manifold and standard 16v downpipe, the bonnet frame above the throttle cable bracket used to catch slightly and also I used to get a slight vibration from the downpipe on the front part of the exhaust tunnel heatshield, I fitted a 20mm exhaust spacer and longer studs between the manifold/ downpipe joint solving the vibration problem TSR used to sell them many years ago. iirc the ABF block is approx 20mm taller hence your problems

MJA likes this.
  7. watercooled Forum Member

That seems strange...I have early car with 97MY mk3 ABF 16v and CIS injection off my worn out KR and no clearance issues,still running KR down pipe as I didn't want to modify my exhaust for ABF one.
    The KR down pipe is close to touching so I just adjusted the lower part of the body heatshield and that was enough.
    What mounts are you running ?,I had the plastic induction air trunking contacting the shock tower but that was due to a collapsed front mount and that was when I still had the KR engine.
    I changed it for a hydro front mount and got around 12mm clearance back on the air pipe,some time later I replaced the rear mount with the newer style and everything was fine after that.

MJA likes this.
  8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

send a picture of your front engien brackewt. could be its an ABF one which will tilt engine up and back. the abf block is taller than the KR one so theres a little lesas room and with the corrado bonnet looks to be a little less room under it than mk2 golf. could try and source a vr6/late bonnet they have a bit more room to clear the vr6 lump

MJA likes this.
  9. MJA

Cheers chaps - this in my mk2 - ABF block and head (20mm higher than a KR & 9A) but with the KR Kjet inlet

Here's some pics

The bonnet on driver side sits like this for cleareance

20220302_092912.jpg

The front mount:

20220302_093009.jpg

20220302_093001.jpg

And here it is where it rubs under the bonnet

20220302_092954.jpg

I'm not sure but I think the engine mounts are not that great - here's a vid with my arm rocking the engine - it moves more than my mk3 and my corrado

I've bought some mk2 16v mounts (meyle for gearbox 191 199 402 C and front 357 199 279B and a febi bilstein for rear engine but havent got the PN to hand)

The car has got a new subframe, assume it is mk2 - it doesn't have the ears past the ARB mount location like my mk3 and corrado have. Car is still 4x100

10. MJA

oh here is the 4 branch touching bulkhead, I have bought an ABF cast manifold and a 8v downpipe to replace it though.

20220302_093024.jpg

11. rubjonny

ah thought it was corrado. so front bracket is mk2 golf, if the gearbox is still the 020 one then its correct. get mounts sorted, replace the manifold and see how you are. I never had any issues with my abf on kjet in mine.

all you need really is a standard mk2 manifold and downpipe, the 4 branches wont give you any benefit if engine is relatively stock

12. rubjonny

check the diameter of your exhaust, if its 55mm 16v one you'll need a reducer to use the 8v downpipe. the 16v downpipe is a git to fit due to the resonator box on it, a mk3 2.0 8v/16v downpipe would go if you can also source a decat pipe to match and fits to the 16v system but may need cutting down depending on what decat you get. though these days they arent so easy to find

13. MJA

Yeah I read the 16v thread and concluded the 4 branch wasn't really worth it. Engine itself is stock. It sounds very raspy as well. The gearbox is still 020 / cable clutch.

Good to hear it will fit - as i type a thought - maybe the previous owner put spacers in the mounts already - he removed the ARB so that car could be as low as possible and perhaps he was raising the engine to protect sump.

14. MJA

Cheers! Good point I need to get a reducer. The system is a Jetex and my 8v manifold is a NOS with heatshields I got off a forum member so I will need something to make it fit.

15. rubjonny

cool, once the new mounts goes in you'll soon see. for the exhaust make sure you use only metric measurements, 50mm and 55mm. not 2" and 2.25" as commonly said otherwise you'll end up in the same situation as me, a reducer which doesnt fit :lol:

MJA likes this.
  16. MJA

thanks - good point i would have gone down the inch route!